The Carr Fire Northern California

7 Replies

Hello BP, we have a devastating fire happening in my home town here in Northern California. Some of you may have seen it on the news or social media but this fire is awful taking lives and people's property. 500 structures destroyed and close to 5000 threatened.  It's reached 80,000 acres and at 5% contained and growing. But our fire fighters are working so hard to get this thing contained. Thank you Firefighters! 

But my question is because I'm curious, what does something like this do to the housing market to a city after the fire is put out? 

@Rylan Macallister @Brad Carrier there's a huge shortage on housing right now. People are doubleing their rental prices it's so messed up and crazy. Saw today a 1 bedroom 1 bath for 1600.. mind blowing. But I think that investing and developing new buildings and subdivisions here is gonna be huge. 

Originally posted by @Paul Fagot :

@Rylan Macallister @Brad Carrier there's a huge shortage on housing right now. People are doubleing their rental prices it's so messed up and crazy. Saw today a 1 bedroom 1 bath for 1600.. mind blowing. But I think that investing and developing new buildings and subdivisions here is gonna be huge. 

they can do this because insurance will pay for those that are burned out..  think what happened in Sonoma and Napa last year

Lake co 3 years ago and  Lake county today..  by the way my brother is on a dozer on the Carr fire right now..  

Short term:   There will be lots of displaced people who need to stay local for jobs, etc so the rental market will be super tight.  Lots of insurance companies will be paying for the rents. 

Long term: there will be people who choose not to rebuild if their home burned down, so there may be some land available in residential neighborhoods that would be easy to build on. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you