• Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Would you rent to this tenant?

Morrisha Hudgons
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Aug 1 2018, 04:58

I have a condo in Chicago, south loop, that I rent for $2900.  The condo is a luxury unit, with floor to ceiling windows, and unobstructed views to lake.  My tenant moved out mid July, but the agent began showing it late June.  Since vacancies are expensive, I'd like to rent it as soon as possible.  Also, with it now being August, I worry about it being late in the rental season and was thinking about reducing the rate to get it to move.  

I have an applicant who has a good credit score in mid-700s and has pay stubs grossing a little over 3 times the rent.  The issue was that she doesn't have any credit history showing any obligation this size, not even a car note.  She doesn't have any recent rental history either, as she lives in Indiana on a farm and says her husband pays the mortgage.  She wants a house in the city, oh and she wants her 20 something daughter to have access to the unit but not be on the lease....  I asked for a co-signer, but instead she offered 4 months advanced rent plus security.  When I verified her employment, she works at a grocery store that I think her husband or family owns.

My spidey senses are telling me she is renting my condo for her daughter....I'm really on the fence about renting to the applicant...what would you do?

Loading replies...