Real Estate Investors Do the Dumbest Thing!

33 Replies

my favorite is wondering why I have not gotten rent in 6 to 12 months..

or falling for the hey its cold this winter I cant afford heat and rent..   ME  OK no problem don't pay rent for 3 months we will just pick it up over time.. only to have them move right out at the end of three months.. and leave a mess to boot.. I am pretty good at reverse landlording..

I was having dinner with my aviation partner on sat. and he is a bigger softee than  me..  One of his tenants he likes and just does not charge them rent.. of course he makes 200k a month in his construction business so whats 1k in rent right..

@Jay Hinrichs  Thats a great one.  That happens in mobile home parks , i.e. tenant has not paid lot rent in a few years and not super uncommon. 

Ok another one to keep the thread going.  Wifes old car before this car was a Diesel Volkswagen Jetta.  I usually have a truck.  Not sure why i didn't have it this day. Had to pick up 1x1 treated spindles for exterior deck work that came in 12 foot strips. So logically you fold down the seats to make them fit.  I tend to be clumsy  ( as you can tell....) whack , shattered taillight.  Had to get her a new one.  Smallie but goodie for the DIYer .  Brother in law was hauling material in my truck also  , probably a similar thing ( i have a nissan titan with the roll down back window which is the coolest thing in the world )  Boom straight through the speaker grill.   I wish i could take credit for that one but can not. 

Originally posted by @Jack Baczek:

@Jay Hinrichs  Thats a great one.  That happens in mobile home parks , i.e. tenant has not paid lot rent in a few years and not super uncommon. 

Ok another one to keep the thread going.  Wifes old car before this car was a Diesel Volkswagen Jetta.  I usually have a truck.  Not sure why i didn't have it this day. Had to pick up 1x1 treated spindles for exterior deck work that came in 12 foot strips. So logically you fold down the seats to make them fit.  I tend to be clumsy  ( as you can tell....) whack , shattered taillight.  Had to get her a new one.  Smallie but goodie for the DIYer .  Brother in law was hauling material in my truck also  , probably a similar thing ( i have a nissan titan with the roll down back window which is the coolest thing in the world )  Boom straight through the speaker grill.   I wish i could take credit for that one but can not. 

well since we are talking about building materials.. 

I traded a bunch of oak tree's on my Oregon Tree farm to a custom hard wood mill .. who then milled me the most awesome custom white oak floors.. random lengths of 6 to 10 feet random widths I mean this stuff was gorgeous and you simply cant buy it.

I have it shipped down to Napa valley from Oregon.... and delivered to a parking lot of a friend of mines winery . Its going to take a few trips and being real hardwood it weight a ton.. I had one of those plastic bed liners and I thought no way I need to tie this stuff down.. 

well I had to cross Silverado trail which is a secondary road but 55 MPH and very busy.. so I gas it and promptly deposited the entire load in the middle of the road to skidding traffic from both sides  OUCH.. no one hit any and it all landed in a nice thump so nothing hurt.. reloaded it and then tied it down.. other wise I rarely if ever buy anything other than a few bedding plants for my gardners to plant.. 

@Jay Hinrichs  I am i humbled to hear something like this come from you   Its an honor , thank you for sharing Jay

that was 25 years ago  LOL  I would hurt myself doing that again.. I creak when I get out of bed.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

well since we are talking about building materials.. 

I traded a bunch of oak tree's on my Oregon Tree farm to a custom hard wood mill .. who then milled me the most awesome custom white oak floors.. random lengths of 6 to 10 feet random widths I mean this stuff was gorgeous and you simply cant buy it.

I have it shipped down to Napa valley from Oregon.... and delivered to a parking lot of a friend of mines winery . Its going to take a few trips and being real hardwood it weight a ton.. I had one of those plastic bed liners and I thought no way I need to tie this stuff down.. 

well I had to cross Silverado trail which is a secondary road but 55 MPH and very busy.. so I gas it and promptly deposited the entire load in the middle of the road to skidding traffic from both sides  OUCH.. no one hit any and it all landed in a nice thump so nothing hurt.. reloaded it and then tied it down.. other wise I rarely if ever buy anything other than a few bedding plants for my gardners to plant.. 

The visual provided... And knowing what a mess traffic can be over there I can't even imagine with roadful of flooring lol

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you