How to maximize my money!

4 Replies

I bought a duplex with the help of my stepmom! The price of the duplex was somewhere in the range of $7000. The deal I have with my stepmom is Ive got to give her $550 a/month for 5 years. I’ve got to use my own money to fix up the property too! She also informed me that the if I give her a lump sum of $20,000, that will satisfy what I owe to her. So I want to know when I refinance I’ll receive in the range of $30,000 -$40,000. Should I just give her the $20,000, or just use the money to buy another duplex?

Well, sounds like a great deal for your stepmom, but I'm failing to see how it's a good deal for you any way you slice it. If you have the $20K, why didn't you just buy the $7K duplex yourself? 

Quwan Booker, ah ok, I see. Well if you have the $20K now, I'd pay off your stepmom as that's cheaper than the $33K she'd get over 5 years and chalk it up to a very expensive lesson. I also hope you have all your agreements in writing...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you