I want to buy a vacation rental

8 Replies

I own three investment properties and am working on a flip. I’m on vacation and have been thinking about the numbers of a vacation rental. Does anyone own vacation rentals? How do they work? What do your numbers look like? What is your purchase price vs your weekly rental price in high and low time?

@Anna Smith

That's a very broad question and would change wildly depending on your area.  Think a Manhattan apartment vs. a beach house in Panama City Beach FL.

If you have a specific area in mind there may be folks out there who own vacation rentals in that area who could give you a more tailored answer.

Hey Anna,

If I bought a coastal rental here in CA today, all things being equal, it's cash flow will be significantly less that if I bought it in 2008. So cost basis has everything to do with your question.

You may get the best info on how much you can gross by studying an Airdna.co report for the zip code you're most interested in.

@Anna Smith So a SWOP analysis. strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, potential problems. I did this for my short term rentals and they’ve been very good to me. Two had to be turned into long term rentals due to a change in laws. Plan B works fine too for me. I love all the strengths of my Airbnb. It’s worked great foe me for almost 10 years. @Airbnbcoach

@Anna Smith - I invested in Panama City Beach, Fl. last year and went to work for the company I hired to manage my condo, Vacasa.  We have some excellent tools for first time investors; I'd be happy to share them with you - just PM me your email address.  Bay County has the best ocean front price per sq. ft. in all of Florida so it's an excellent market to invest in. I have a large network of realtors, lenders, contractors, etc. here having signed 50 properties for Vacasa this year.  I've worked with investors all over the country with everything from studios 17 steps from the ocean to mansions on the bay with boat slips.  Occupancy rates run 60 - 70% depending on what size place you purchase. A 1 BR ocean front condo with bunks sleeps 6 is my next purchase.  Proximity to the ocean and a pool are the two largest considerations for vacationers.  

I actually just listed our vacation rental.  We are in the 30A area between Panama City Beach and Destin.  Asking price is 1.175m and we have 6 years of rents for over 100k per year.  Please PM me if interested 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you