How do I remove the smell of Dog from my Rental unit.

10 Replies

Bring in cats.  Let them pee on rugs.

On a serious note.  Get a hand pump yard sprayer, fill it with straight white vinegar and spray every bit of the carpet.    This will neutralize the smells along with killing bacteria.  A cheap sure way to get the stink out.    But, unless your renting to meth heads, why wouldn't you replace the carpet?  Sounds like it's old trash and needs to be replaced.

I'd suggest an ozone generator they work great for removing smells including smoke from units.

I second the ozone generator.  But if there is scent in the carpeting, there is probably scent under the carpeting.  We've treated our cat urine smells in various houses with the oil based Kilz product, painted over the sub-floor.  It is oil based so it takes a long time to dry, and has a noxious odor, so I use a mask.  Two coats will seal it.  

Had new carpet in home and bad tenants. they did not pay, had to evict so they left their animals in house for a week and then stepped in poop to grind it in.  It was awful.

Went to Costco and purchased lots and lots of white vinegar and poured it on the rugs all over this got the carpet pad also, let it sit over night and came in with a rented rug doctor and was surprised,   No stains  No Order carpets looked new again 

@Brian Garrett is right about an ozone machine. Other options are 1) taking the carpet up (which you had cleaned) and replacing the padding underneath (where the smell is stuck). 2) sealing the floor underneath with an oil based product. 

Interesting to hear about the vinegar method directly into carpets! One of my properties smelled like a zoo when I bought it but the carpet was not salvageable. So I bleached the subfloor after removing the carpets and padding and that fixed my smell issue.

Regarding HELOC, yes, you can use the funds from your HELOC to do whatever you want with it. Just please ensure that the new purchase will cash flow. You don't want to put a debt on your personal home that you can't pay back.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you