• Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Inexpensive Wow-Factor Ideas For Rehabbed Houses

Danny Johnson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Posted Dec 12 2011, 13:44

Days on market for houses that we are selling have been higher than I would like for them to be. The rehabs are nice and we are staging them. We are typically selling within 3-6 months which really isn't that bad in this market, but could be improved.

I was trying to think of ways for us to shrink the days on market. There are buyers and I want to make our houses stand out and be the ones they remember and want to buy because they had something extra.

Some of the things that we don't typically do that we could for relatively low cost are (keep in mind that these are houses below median price in my area - so granite counters and the like are not really necessary, but might be an option) installing fancy tile backsplashes, tile granite counter tops, under cabinet lights, recessed lighting, wainscoting/chair rails, spending more on curb appeal, outdoor living areas (large custom decks etc) and other things that can get rather expensive.

I'm not wanting to spend a lot but am willing to add something extra if it will help sell houses faster. We could spend $3,000 or more making the house stand out and it could end up saving us $10,000 or more in holding costs and price reductions.

What are your thoughts? What are some of the things that you are doing or that you plan on doing that really make a rehab stand out and get sold before the other houses that are on the market?

I really appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

Loading replies...