re-zoning a property

5 Replies

currently i am looking to buy a rental property. i have come across a house for sale in a suburb location. it sits on .25 of an acre. the house sits on one half of the parcel, and the other half of the parcel is like an empty lot.

my question, is it very hard to divide a residential lot so i could sell the vacant land? is it hard to re-zone that parcel? is it worth it?

what kind of variables should i take into consideration.

thanks

great question.

it depends on the township that this lot is located. if it is actually one lot - you'll have to go for a subdivision.

again, each township is different. a zoning board or planning board of some kind will look at your application and (most likely) will compare it to the surrounding parcels. this has alot to do with frontages among other things.

your application will consist of a number of things - like an extensive survey and lots of other paper work.

all this again, depends on the area, what type of utilities are located there - along with the sewer systems, as well as various codes and zoning regulations.

1. go to the town and get the application for subdividing a residential lot
2. talk to a surveyor and probe them for questions.
3. talk to the town about general information on subdividing.
4. drive the area - check out the frontages of the lots.
5. if it's an area with a lot of vacant lots - you'll need plats and maps to see how the parcels look, in terms of frontages and total lot sizes.
6. consider hiring an expeditor to handle this - although this should be after you've done your homework yourself.

now ALL THIS DEPENDS ON THE TOWNSHIP. i have no idea about your local town - so you'll need to first, start by going to the town hall and getting this information.

best of luck - and if at a first glance, it doesn't look like it can be done - DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOUR FIRST TRY. always follow up, talk to several different people. a positive mindset is 70% of the deal baby!

keep in touch about this!

You can easily find out if you can subdivide the lot by finding out how it is zoned. Just go down or call your city planning dept. and they can tell you. Usually to subdivide one lot in half is very easy. You just get a surveyor to survey the lot and show where you want to split it. Then submit it to your city planning dept. and then when approved - record it. If you were dividing the lot into many lots, that's where you run into red-tape and lots of money.

i would say that it's all relative to WHERE you are located and the way things are done in the local market. in more populated areas - you might find it is ALOT more difficult to do any type of subdivision - even just splitting one parcel into two single and seperate lots.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you