New Owner - Can I void lease?

4 Replies

I'm a new investor in Nashville, TN. I'm in the process of buying a SFH but just found out the property management company the seller is using found new tenants moving in at the end of the month.

I plan on using the BRRRR method on this property so I can't have any tenants living there for a few months, nor can I afford to rent out at below market rates.

What are my options?

Does new ownership void the lease? Can something be done since they do not move in till later this month?

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately for you, your purchase does not void any preexisting agreement.  You are now just the owner of that agreement.  First thing you'll want to do is find the length of the agreement.  Your best case scenario would be that it's month-to-month, which means you'll be able to have them vacate the property in the near future.  If the lease is for a year, you'll either have to bite the bullet and wait for it to run it's course or offer them a buyout in hopes to draw them away from the property.  It would be a new take on cash for keys.

Promotion
Obie Insurance
Coverage for your rental
Get a quote for your rental property in 2 minutes or less.
Save on landlord insurance. A transparent, simple, and affordable way to protect your investment.
Start Saving

If you're in your due diligence phase, terminate the contract or renegotiate it. You also might be able to use your final walkthrough contingency if you have one to provide an out. The property would have to be the same or better than what you found it, obviously not the case here. You can also offer cash for keys for the new tenants or simply try to negotiate them out of the lease. If you have a financing contingency that could be another out for you in this scenario

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you