Quarterly Tax Projection after sale of property

3 Replies

Hi All,

Quick tax question here. I bought a house 18 months ago for $132k. I'm now selling it at $275k. I'm expecting about $100k in profit. This will create a substantial tax debt. I've been talking to my CPA about tax implications. He recommends that I do a tax projection to make quarterly payments for Q3 and Q4. It's going to cost about $300. Does anybody else make quarterly tax payments? Is it worth paying your CPA to do a tax projection? Thanks!

@David McCracken you could have underpayment penalties if you don’t make estimated tax payments. Not sure what that’d be but either you’re going to pay your CPA or the IRS. And if you don’t pay your entire tax by 4/15 there’s even more penalties and interest. Some clients believe they can make more money than what the penalties are. It’s really up to your risk threshold. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you