What is your average turnover rate and cost for you SFH rentals?

4 Replies

@Mark Whittaker

6 properties (used to be 9)

Once every 4-5 yrs (avg).  Longest is 10 yrs, shortest is 2.

Depends.  I was trying to upgrade my business model to 100% ceramic tile floors and shutters.  Obviously those years/turns were 5k+.  Now my portfolio is ‘mature’, it’s not much more than a quick coat of interior paint.

Hope that helps.  

12 properties

4.68 years (2.5 to 7.8 years)

$600-$1200 over and above security deposit (usually spot painting)

1 house is 1400sf, 1 house is 3200sf, the rest are 1900-2300sf. 

Originally posted by @Bill Brandt :

12 properties

4.68 years (2.5 to 7.8 years)

$600-$1200 over and above security deposit (usually spot painting)

1 house is 1400sf, 1 house is 3200sf, the rest are 1900-2300sf. 

Interesting, thanks.    do you manage them yourself?
do you have to justify not giving the security deposit back?

what work do you typically have done for a turnover? 

@Mark Whittaker

I used to manage them all myself, down to just 3, the rest are property manager. I’m not really a people person and I’m a pushover who doesn’t like conflict. 

With the property manager I simply get a statement saying, this much was done, this much came out of the security deposit, this much is due. 

Painting remains the number one expense, but paint every house same color so you can match everything (nomadic taupe from Dunn Edwards in my case). You can also do white walls as it makes it easier for the painter, especially around baseboards and ceilings, but I found it way too stark. 

Occasionally one room of carpet (usually a bedroom)  

It’s actually been my roughest year in 3-5 years for occupied properties. 3 water heaters and 3 ac units so far this year  (most properties have 2 ac units each in Vegas) I had gone a couple years without any repairs or vacancies.

Just got an email about the solar heater for a pool being out which reminded me I also did a pool pump and a filter this year  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you