How do you know where to look for buy and hold properties?

3 Replies

Hi, I’m new to the forum and new to investing. I plan on purchasing an investment property by the end of the year, my plan is to buy and hold the property for long term wealth. I am looking in the Fort Worth Area as it seems the economy is good there, specifically Arlington.

My question is, in general how do you know where to purchase buy and hold properties so you actually make money on the property when you rent it out, any advice is appreciated.

Agree with Joe, bought 2 rentals about 5y ago.  Great value at the time, but home prices have increased almost 50% since then.  Tough to find value especially in market that may not be familiar to you.  Others may have a different opinion.

@Tyler Wisner you have some good suggestions above but many "buy and hold" investors look for 3 method of income on investment properties:

1. Appreciation of the Property - Meaning the local economy is strong enough to support a healthy housing market
  2. Principle Buy Down - Meaning every payment your renter makes to you pays down the principle balance of the mortgage
  3. Cash Flow - the amount of money you earn each month that is OVER and ABOVE your expenses on the property

If you find a market where you can have these 3 items you should be able to have a good market to invest in.  Hope this helps!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you