BRRR with structural damage

2 Replies

Found a property that looked good cosmetically however contractor noted some structural concerns that could be pricey to remedy and had his own personal reservations about it as an investment property because of that. My question is if I could get an offer accepted lower than asking price to offset the repair costs would it be worth it assuming the math made sense for cashflow and ARV? Or is it too concerning and risks being a money pit?

I’d try to get either a structural engineer or knowledgeable contractor in to take a look. Many home inspectors are trained, but far from experts on things like structural issues.

It really depends on what kind of issue it is. Some are easily fixable by throwing some money at it. Other problems can turn into money pits and never get a long-term fix. No way to really know without seeing what the problem actually is.

@Kevin Wilson

Bad cosmetically and good structurally is a much better combination, especially early. As a general rule, contractor's say yes. (Emphasis on "general rule", contractors) If one is hesitant, that's a big red flag. Agree with @Mike McCarthy , get some expert advice and firm written quotes to repair before you decide it's worth it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you