Inspection. What is worth it for a rental?

8 Replies

When buying rentals I am assuming the general consensus is to get an inspection; my question is how many things do you include? Is it worth while to inspect for Radon?, sewer line scoping? Wood pests?

Trying to determine a general rule of thumb to follow when buying properties on what’s worth the money and what’s a waste.

Thanks

@Kevin Wilson I have always had a licensed pro do an inspection well prior to closing. If we find excessive termite damage I will bring in a termite guy as well for an inspection and quote. I have not inspected for Radon or sewer line; it is not a bad idea I just have not included that.

I would not test for radon unless it is required by your state/county.  There has been a lot of talk recently about doing away with the EPA "limit" of 4 picocuries because no one knows where they came up with that number.. My father in law is a nuclear engineer and he is very adamant that in order for radon to be harmful, it has to be almost direct contact with a much larger level than 4 picocuries.  I am no scientist but I do know radon is like mold, there is some of it everywhere. 

Here is an article that talks about it if you want to nerd out. 

https://www.wired.com/story/to-radon-or-radont-that-is-the-question/

For any new investor, I would definitely recommend a property inspection with pest and dry rot. And if the property is older than 1980, I would get the sewer line scoped. We haven't inspected for radon, but if the area has a major problem with radon, it's probably not a bad idea.

I decide whether to inspect and what on a case by case basis.  IF the house is a full on wreck and will need a full rehab, I do even pay for an inspector, just look myself. 

Depending on the age of the property and county records of rehab, I do have someone inspect the electrical for AL wires, or electrical issues because I do not know anything about that.  

I generally do not inspect chimneys, just plan on not using them (closing them) in the rentals because I buy pretty old houses.

I don't inspect for radon.  Termites, yes, to see the extent, if I see the mud tunnels.

If you re not comfortable determining the condition of the house, you should get a basic inspection.

@Andrew Syrios Glaf I did inspection but I probably wouldn’t do the Radon again. The rest seemed worthwhile either for the sake of renegotiating purchase price or simply knowing problem issues to address.

Originally posted by @Kevin Wilson :

@Andrew Syrios Glaf I did inspection but I probably wouldn’t do the Radon again. The rest seemed worthwhile either for the sake of renegotiating purchase price or simply knowing problem issues to address.

I think that makes sense. We generally don't inspect for radon and I don't know many who do.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you