Have I reached the metaphorical “mid-life crisis” as a REI?

5 Replies

I'm at a place where I'm wondering if many of the traditional ways of doing things as an investor building a portfolio are ripe for improvement. I can't articulate it, but I can explain how I feel. I feel like my portfolio has become a bloated truckload of assets (each of which are cash-flowing), but there's something missing. The image I have in my mind is that of a giant ocean going vessel that displaces millions of tons of water as it moves at a slow pace towards its destination. Have I reached the metaphorical "mid-life crisis" of being a REI? Is there a critical mass each of us inevitably reach where we need some outside intervention; such as a mentor that can help us re-purpose that slow ship into something that can cut through the water more effectively?

Anyone else relate, or is it just me?

There have been fair winds in the past few years. Are you ready to dodge ice-bergs? Have you stress tested your portfolio? Do you have a plan to exchange up, or to buy more when the next recession comes?  These are questions I am asking of my own portfolio. 

@Matthew McNeil - I feel it too..... In fact, I might even say it's "Boredom????" So much so, to provide some excitement, I've started selling some off just for some excitement.

Originally posted by @Kerry Baird :

There have been fair winds in the past few years. Are you ready to dodge ice-bergs? Have you stress tested your portfolio? Do you have a plan to exchange up, or to buy more when the next recession comes?  These are questions I am asking of my own portfolio. 

Good questions.  Yes, I've stressed tested and my portfolio is healthy. Can handle vacancies or a downturn in the economy.  Like any good business owner, there are time that strategies need to be deconstructed and reconsidered.  Introspection is always healthy.  Maybe that's where I'm at.  

We can definitely get settled into our comfort zones, especially when the engines seem to be humming along on all cylinders.  Yes, I do believe there are times when outside intervention is needed, I know for myself at least.  Maybe its to re-purpose the ship, or maybe its to re-purpose our destination???
Or then again, maybe just take some of that cash and buy a shiny red convertible. :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you