Managing Multiple Projects and Other People's Money

5 Replies

Hello! 

As someone who wants to provide value - in your experience, what has been some of the best advice you have received or that you could offer someone managing multiple projects, using other people's money?

- Would you suggest taking a full course in Project Management and earning the certification, (not for the title or the certification, but with the goal being to fully understand the entire process)? If not, what avenue(s) would you advise someone to take to become the best Project Manager?

- How have you overcome making a mistake and correcting it? For Example: Hiring the wrong contractor(s) resulting in the project going over budget. 

-  How have you overcome losing trust by and earning it back? For Example: Losing trust by not offering enough transparency and thoroughly communicating.

-  How do you explain to a new partner that does not have experience in flipping/rehabbing, the ups, and downs of construction?

- What steps have you taken to be proactive when a timeline started to deviate from the schedule? 

all of the above has happened to anyone who has flipped or built more than a few homes. bottom line

myself included.. to mitigate you own up right away and you make it right. 

@Jay Hinrichs

Thank you for the quick response, I appreciate the feedback!

How do you make it right? Given the situation where a project has gone over budget, how do I make it right with the partner? Is it owning up to my mistakes, better communication, better transparency, and not making the same mistake twice?

Going with cheaper labor and materials to try and save the budget tends to cause more issues. I talk to our contractors on a daily basis (which has improved accountability with what’s going on with the projects). The process of hiring on contractors has been improved substantially (background checks, license verification, and calling on their references have been a game changer). But how do you retroactively make a project that has gone over budget, right?

simple you take less and make the money whole even if you make Nothing.

@Mikayla Parris

Lots of great questions here! A lot of it starts with the partnership arrangement you have with your partner and setting expectations up front before any deals are done. If you have a partner who is going to be involved but doesn't have experience, just know you're going to have to teach, explain, communicate, and be patient.

Many of your questions are the same ones I have asked myself when I started out. I try to put myself in my partners position and ask myself the same questions. If I were a lender and lost trust in my partner, why would that happen and what could be done proactively and retroactively to correct it at least reduce the damage done. If you want to continue to do business with your partner and you make each other better investors, I would go to great lengths to persevere the long term relationship above short term profits. Every deal is a learning experience and the next one should be better.

To address the question about project management classes, I don't think it's necessary but it definitely can't hurt anything! Constant self improvement and learning is super important over the long term. Hope some of my rant helped!

-Erik

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
    • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
    • Learn how to get started with or without money,
    • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
    • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here