I have about $10k saved and have been very interested in investing in property or somehow getting a mentor on how to invest my money. Is it possible to start with $10k?
Investor · Johns Creek, GA · Member since 2017 · 463 posts · 488 votes
6y
@Marduk Mooshoolzadeh yes! Case in point - for the most recent 14-lot mobile home park I just purchased, I put only 10% down ($12,500) with seller financing.
Rental Property Investor · Plymouth, MI · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 37 votes
6y
Hello! It is entirely possible to start investing with 10k. There are apps like fundrise that you can invest in shares or part of a real estate fund, you could purchase a property and live in flip. You could potentially find a seller financing deal with little or no money down on it. There are a variety of different paths just do some research and see what the best fit is for you!
I have about $10k saved and have been very interested in investing in property or somehow getting a mentor on how to invest my money. Is it possible to start with $10k?
Yes, it is possible to start with $10K. Pretty much any avenue I would want to investigate would take more money, though. I would wait, start going to local real estate association meetings, look hard for people to help you.
Investor · Johns Creek, GA · Member since 2017 · 463 posts · 488 votes
6y
@Marduk Mooshoolzadeh yes! Case in point - for the most recent 14-lot mobile home park I just purchased, I put only 10% down ($12,500) with seller financing.
That’s kind of why I’m on here because I don’t know which direction I want to go, nor do I know what each direction is. I do know however that I want to be involved in real estate because I feel as though it’s calling for me.
Do I just google real estate associations to get started? How exactly would I get started in obtaining information on the path I would like to pursue?
Marduk, you're going to need to get a whole lot more self-starter in you than you currently have to do well in real estate. Are you honestly asking me what you should google to find a local real estate association? What are you going to ask me next? How to hang your toilet paper?
That’s exactly the reason I’m on here, to understand the different avenues one can take in the broad real estate field. I’m coming here with zero knowledge on this field and want to get into it and you’re going to poke fun at my lack of knowledge?
Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
@Marduk Mooshoolzadeh
You can get educated for free or very little money. Read BP guide to getting started, read books, network with people, attend webinars, save more money. The right path will become clear. Learning takes time, not money. RE investing is very broad, lots of different assets and strategies. I started with 25k and I have transformed my networth and quit my day job in under 3 years.
Contractor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 262 posts · 407 votes
6y
@Marduk Mooshoolzadeh
I believe it is certainly attainable! I purchased my first rental in 2017 with $17k down on a sub $100k property. I've seen many on this platform do it with way less.
If it were me, I would take that 10k and try to double it in a years time via buying and flipping cars and goods. I still do that today because its fun!
That’s exactly the reason I’m on here, to understand the different avenues one can take in the broad real estate field. I’m coming here with zero knowledge on this field and want to get into it and you’re going to poke fun at my lack of knowledge?
Marduk:
There are five tabs on the top of your screen. The first is "Forums." The second is "Education."
Under the second tab, there are three subcategories: read, watch, listen.
Under the read tab, there are six guides. There are 834 member blog posts. Then there is the Bigger Pockets Blog with 785 pages of posts.
Under the watch tab, there is a place to register for the free webinars. There is the video library. There is a four-part free video course.
Under the listen tab, there's the regular podcast, with 357 podcasts, the Money show, with 100 podcasts, and the Business Podcast, with 31 podcasts. All free.
Yet here you are, asking me to teach you how to find your local real estate associations, then complaining about your hurt feelings when I object to your reticence to explore the wide-ranging intellectual possibilities of searching the World Wide Web by yourself to do so.
Go get some big-boy pants out of your closet and put them on, Marduk. Because this won't do.
Not hurt feelings, was just not expecting that kind of a response from someone on here BUT, I do see where you’re going. You’re teaching me to be more self sufficient because in real estate investing you’re not going to get hand outs right?
I will look into each of those tabs that you listed.
Do you have any suggestions for informative podcasts outside of BP?
“There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.”
I would suggest listening to the choosefi.com podcasts on financial independence. For more real estate knowledge, I cannot recommend a full series, but I can certainly steer you away from one: don't believe anything Clayton Morris of the Morris Invest podcast says.
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
6y
You can start with 10k .. but your one hiccup away from losing everything right out of the gate ! Build some reserves for safety along with that 10k ... then start
Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2019 · 162 posts · 64 votes
6y
@Marduk Mooshoolzadeh
I was recently in a very similar situation. You have taken an excellent first step, that is too acknowledge that you don't know what you don't know. We have all been there. You're simply more of a planner. Don't let that stop you from:
Learning how to analyze deals
Making a list of your short them & long term real estate goals
Listen to the BP Podcasts
Assess your financial situation (is your Debt to income ratio to high, is it a Good ideas to start investing? Do you have a great credit score to get loans)
How will you aquire property?
Which market (With 10k, you may have to leave LA and do Arkansas for example)
Are there properties I can purchase for less than $5-$7k down, will the remainder cover everything else?
Can I partner with someone?
Like you I joined BP to learn and in my case I used the 10k to pay off a personal loan to decrease my DTI and increase my monthly meet income, providing a greater cushion to invest.
Action items for you:
Listen to all BP podcasts & take notes.
Read the books mentioned by the hosts and guests ( Hoopla let's you borrow ebooks from a local library, gratis - use this because your taxes are paying for it)
Write down your goals and read them regularly
Added finances
Choose a real estimate investment strategy
Find a market that supports that strategy
Analyze at least 50 deals in that market
Re-evaluate your goals and strategy
Meanwhile your attending Real Estate Investment Association (REIA) meetups and networking, building your core four (RE Agent, Property Manager, General Contractor, Loan Broker/Banking/Lenders)
There are more but I think this novel is a good starting point, let us know if you have any questions.
Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 26 votes
6y
@Marduk Mooshoolzadeh
Yes!! Consider partnering with someone with experience if you are going to flip the property. Two of you can put in the down and get a hard money loan for the purchase. There are lots of variables. Partnering with an experienced investor with a track record of success and honesty can greatly help your learning curve. This is how I got started with my first one and I made a profit. My first flip deal was 2O years ago.