Cringeworthy self promotion on BP

Cringeworthy self promotion on BP

Real Estate Broker · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2018 · 269 posts · 597 votes

Has anyone else had their fill of posts concocted ostensibly to be informative but that are obviously thinly veiled attempts to funnel the uninitiated to the posters classes, syndication capital raise attempts, sub-to schemes, turnkey "opportunities", etc? Many offenders can't contain the said self promotion to their own threads, but seem to find a way to segue any even peripherally related thread back to their own. Each and every time I read a post which weaves fantastical tales of unbelievable (and undoubtedly quite cherrypicked) returns and I think to myself "this smells a bit stinky, here we go again..", inevitably the poster just happens to be raising capital for more fantastic deals right now (or whatever the business model happens to be). Wow, just my luck! 

48Reply
263 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 718 posts · 913 votes
6y

@Jeff C., Yep, there are definitely some cringeworthy threads going on.  I think BP does an overall good job of keeping the marketing in marketplace, but you can tell a lot of these posters are  pushing it right to the line.  There's one in particular right now who, if you accept his boasting, is approaching Buffett-like heights of investing yet still somehow manages to find time to write all of his self-promoting posts while adding almost zero value in terms of content.  It's like only he has the secret sauce and supernatural insight and the only logical conclusion is to see if you can offer him money and hopefully he will let you invest with him.  Pass.

See this reply in the discussion

126 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Cody L. talk to Bigger Pockets. I didn't even know the contact button was there. It comes with Premium. Selling something all the time isn't filling out your profile so that everyone can see you aren't BS.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeff S. 

    I see it. Maybe only moderators can see it but that makes no sense. Perhaps it has something to do with your particular web browser. I can only see "Archive" for private messages if I reduce the window size to less than the full screen!  Just weird. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dan H.:
    Originally posted by @Cody L.:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Edit B.:

    @Jeff Cagle I couldn’t agree more.

     Hotel guy is annoying.....hijacking threads.

     Can you link?  I still haven't seen (either while browsing over the years, or via examples in this tread) a link to what people might be talking about. 

    It is a long thread but it does not take long to determine that it is going to be a solicitation for investors.  Then there is the self promotion that I and others reference (mine was a bit more specific).  I am not calling the self promotion BS but others are.  I certainly would not invest with anyone without a thorough vetting.  My own belief is that he is likely quite successful but there may be some exaggeration.  

    Remember you requested this.  Enjoy....  LOL

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/... 

    Thanks.   Funny.  I "started small" because I didn't have the knowledge or capital to buy big.  I bought a few single family homes, then finally took the leap to an 8 unit.  Realized it wasn't so hard and I knew a bit more so bought a 16 unit.  Later a 32 and 26 as a package.  Sold the 32 and used it to buy more.  Refinanced the 16, and sold the 8 to buy larger ones, etc. etc. 

    12 years later:  1,522 units w/o any investors.  I'd likely have more but I can only do what I can do given I'm using my own funds from refi/sales. 

    I wouldn't tell anyone not to "start small"  I'd make sure I tell someone to "get started" as most people just run around in circles and never pull the trigger.   So yeah, I don't really agree with his advice at all.   (though to be fair I only read about 1/2 the first page of comments :)  

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Cody L.:
    Originally posted by @Dan H.:
    Originally posted by @Cody L.:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Edit B.:

    @Jeff Cagle I couldn’t agree more.

     Hotel guy is annoying.....hijacking threads.

     Can you link?  I still haven't seen (either while browsing over the years, or via examples in this tread) a link to what people might be talking about. 

    It is a long thread but it does not take long to determine that it is going to be a solicitation for investors.  Then there is the self promotion that I and others reference (mine was a bit more specific).  I am not calling the self promotion BS but others are.  I certainly would not invest with anyone without a thorough vetting.  My own belief is that he is likely quite successful but there may be some exaggeration.  

    Remember you requested this.  Enjoy....  LOL

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/... 

    Thanks.   Funny.  I "started small" because I didn't have the knowledge or capital to buy big.  I bought a few single family homes, then finally took the leap to an 8 unit.  Realized it wasn't so hard and I knew a bit more so bought a 16 unit.  Later a 32 and 26 as a package.  Sold the 32 and used it to buy more.  Refinanced the 16, and sold the 8 to buy larger ones, etc. etc. 

    12 years later:  1,522 units w/o any investors.  I'd likely have more but I can only do what I can do given I'm using my own funds from refi/sales. 

    I wouldn't tell anyone not to "start small"  I'd make sure I tell someone to "get started" as most people just run around in circles and never pull the trigger.   So yeah, I don't really agree with his advice at all.   (though to be fair I only read about 1/2 the first page of comments :)  

    You likely missed the worse of the self promoting and the call outs on said self promotion.  There is some humorous posts, but likely not worth the time to go through that many posts.  I will summarize one for your entertainment and spare you the read.  OP posted that he had been recognized by the city and had a day dedicated in his honor.  Another poster found a link to the site where you can apply for the said honor and even provide the wording that goes on the associated declaration. LMAO.

    I want to believe the OP's accomplishments and think he wanted to market for investors and to that end he wanted people to know of his success.  Thread should have been moved to marketplace.

    I think virtually everyone starts small.   It would take some huevos to start big without success in smaller scale first. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

    @Jeff S. 

    I see it. Maybe only moderators can see it but that makes no sense. Perhaps it has something to do with your particular web browser. I can only see "Archive" for private messages if I reduce the window size to less than the full screen!  Just weird. 

    I think only pro members have the option now. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jay Hinrichs huh, so bob bowling got banned? I thought he was an older guy and may be got sick or something and stopped posting. Too bad. BP is foolish to ban him, as he’s contributed not only good info, but entertainment, and I’m sure he’s brought BP plenty of page views too...which is a key metric for any commercial web site. 

    Long live the golden goose!

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    Of course you can get bombarded with people asking for free stuff all the time. Someone can also choose to say NO. Saying NO can be very powerful when you define what you want to say YES too.

    If you say NO to what will not meet your life objectives you open yourself up more to what you can say YES to.

    I like posting to the site because it stays up usually 24/7. That means people can typically read it at their leisure. I only have individual time for commercial clients that submit a PFS and want to sign an exclusive. Those who are just researching or want free stuff I do not have time for. I try to give them some ways to research on their own.

    People generally have more free time to learn or more money but not much free time so want to pay for service to others to accelerate their success curve quicker.

    The reality is a lot of people on this site do not have much money. Lots of starting investors are boot strapping and trying to find anyway to get ahead. We all started somewhere but you still have to be mindful of people's time. Those doing business do not have time to take free calls all day. If that person averages thousands per hour for their time they can't be on the phone giving freebies to people curious about a space but not serious about doing anything or years out from that being a reality.

    Believe it or not this site at one point was one page with some bank foreclosure links on it and that is all that there was. There were no employees or any of that Josh was the whole company pretty much working endless hours. I have learned a lot from this site over the years and it is amazing what it has grown to. This site can be sometimes be a goldmine for those that put time and energy into it. If someone comes to this site offering little value than it can show up right away with intentions. I have seen some just post something to try to lure people away to their site without offering any knowledge.

    The site isn't perfect but I do not know of any site out there that is. At least for me the good outweighs the bad. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Amit M.:

    @Jay Hinrichs huh, so bob bowling got banned? I thought he was an older guy and may be got sick or something and stopped posting. Too bad. BP is foolish to ban him, as he’s contributed not only good info, but entertainment, and I’m sure he’s brought BP plenty of page views too...which is a key metric for any commercial web site. 

    Long live the golden goose!

    Ya that's what I understand.. I think there is difference of opinions then there is argumentative.. 

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 85 posts · 144 votes
    6y

    @Jeff C. - You know what would be great?  A thread/forum dedicated exclusively to real estate investing failures.  Folks willing to show their warts/go outside without makeup would probably (1) separate some wheat from some chaff, since shameless self-promoters are loathe to air their dirty laundry; (2) show newbies that it's okay to fail, and that everyone isn't GREAT SUCCESS all the time; and (3) actually provide value by pointing out potential landmines for others to avoid.

    Then again, it would probably only be a matter of time before the self-promoters hijacked it and started threads saying things like "My greatest failure...IS THAT I DIDN'T GO BIG ENOUGH EARLY ENOUGH USING MY PATENTED SYSTEM!  IT'S CALLED THE F.A.I.L. SYSTEM AND YOU CAN CHECK OUT MORE ABOUT IT ON MY MEMBERS-ONLY WEBSITE!!!  PM ME FOR DEETZ!  ANYWAY BYE GOTTA GO DRIVE MY LAMBO TO MY BEACH PROPERTY!"

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Andrey Y.:
    Originally posted by @Aaron Taylor:

    I was just thinking this same thing today and then I ran across this thread.  The posting is starting to get a bit ridiculous at times, but where I really notice the difference is podcasts.  Most of the podcasts I've been listening to for the past couple years have started to go downhill, mainly through loads of circular self promotion.  Person A has a podcast and Person B comes on it, then A goes on B's, and then they both go on C's and he comes on their's, etc and they all say the same thing and the value just goes downhill quickly.  Even the biggerpockets podcasts (which I love most of the time) have fallen victim to this.

    Everyone is chasing capital and throwing out their best sales pitch constantly, like it's a frenzy out there now.  Probably a bad sign, whenever there is overwhelming exuberance things tend to fall apart.

    I do agree with the poster that the quality of posts in general seems to have fallen over the past year for some reason.  The constant self promotion stuff isn't making that any better.

     This is very well stated. IMO, the most informative, least spammy, and highest value per time spent were the BP forums in 2012 - 2015. About the time 'Bob Bowling' got banned (the guy he upset is a big name and author on BP and friends with the mods and uppers) for providing real value about Cap Rates. What he was staying didn't jive with the general (false) idea on here that higher cap rates are good, as well as promotion of Turnkey or "higher cap" returns. IMO, a great resource like that shouldn't have been banned because someone was offended by his blunt nature.

    There is now a lot of promotion, spam, rehashing of the same stuff and capitalizing on newbies who won't take any action anyway. There are still a lot of smart people who if you sift hard enough provide a lot of value. Too bad there is a lot more sifting now than in the past :D

    Bob was great. He was always calling out the BS. I gave up calling the obvious offenders out. The ones who basically say the same zero value thing 1000 times, usually responding to a newbie Californian with a couple bucks "I did this OOS turnkey or apt look at me, call me anytime to chat, I love helping members" ( I need your cash). 

    It's a lost cause I am thinking, and adds to the entertainment now as mentioned. Bob would be having a field day these days probably. 

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Amit M.:

    @Jay Hinrichs huh, so bob bowling got banned? I thought he was an older guy and may be got sick or something and stopped posting. Too bad. BP is foolish to ban him, as he’s contributed not only good info, but entertainment, and I’m sure he’s brought BP plenty of page views too...which is a key metric for any commercial web site. 

    Long live the golden goose!

    Yes, that was dumb af to ban Bob. The guy had 40 years experience, was a noted CA court case RE expert, lived on the beach in Hawaii, just sharing his wisdom so newbies could have a fighting chance by cutting thru the nonsense with his very sharp REI knife.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Thadeous Larkin:

    @Jeff C. - You know what would be great?  A thread/forum dedicated exclusively to real estate investing failures.  Folks willing to show their warts/go outside without makeup would probably (1) separate some wheat from some chaff, since shameless self-promoters are loathe to air their dirty laundry; (2) show newbies that it's okay to fail, and that everyone isn't GREAT SUCCESS all the time; and (3) actually provide value by pointing out potential landmines for others to avoid.

    Then again, it would probably only be a matter of time before the self-promoters hijacked it and started threads saying things like "My greatest failure...IS THAT I DIDN'T GO BIG ENOUGH EARLY ENOUGH USING MY PATENTED SYSTEM!  IT'S CALLED THE F.A.I.L. SYSTEM AND YOU CAN CHECK OUT MORE ABOUT IT ON MY MEMBERS-ONLY WEBSITE!!!  PM ME FOR DEETZ!  ANYWAY BYE GOTTA GO DRIVE MY LAMBO TO MY BEACH PROPERTY!"

    its very common approach by most Guru's  IE: " I was broke living in my parents garage or homeless or whatever then I found the secret sauce so I just want to share it with you.. "

  • Chris ClothierBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Matt R.:
    Originally posted by @Amit M.:

    @Jay Hinrichs huh, so bob bowling got banned? I thought he was an older guy and may be got sick or something and stopped posting. Too bad. BP is foolish to ban him, as he’s contributed not only good info, but entertainment, and I’m sure he’s brought BP plenty of page views too...which is a key metric for any commercial web site. 

    Long live the golden goose!

    Yes, that was dumb af to ban Bob. The guy had 40 years experience, was a noted CA court case RE expert, lived on the beach in Hawaii, just sharing his wisdom so newbies could have a fighting chance by cutting thru the nonsense with his very sharp REI knife.

    I'm not sure if Bob was booted from BP or he just got tired of the fight so I can't comment on that. But I will say that Bob actually taught me a lot in our many back and forth chats on here and I even adopted his arguments against using CAP rate to look at single-family houses. There have been two or three really good commentators who don't post anymore on here that I really enjoyed debating with. I always seemed to learn a little more each time one of them would post a question or rebuttal. It's not a bad thing to think deeper about your own views and get questioned.

    On a side note, Matt, I did not know that he had an expertise per se.  I just knew that he had years and years of experience on most of us and while he may have been ornery in the 2-dimensional forum world, I bet it would be cool to sit and have a beer with him and listen.

  • Carrollton, TX · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 371 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Chris Clothier:
    Originally posted by @Matt R.:
    Originally posted by @Amit M.:

    @Jay Hinrichs huh, so bob bowling got banned? I thought he was an older guy and may be got sick or something and stopped posting. Too bad. BP is foolish to ban him, as he’s contributed not only good info, but entertainment, and I’m sure he’s brought BP plenty of page views too...which is a key metric for any commercial web site. 

    Long live the golden goose!

    Yes, that was dumb af to ban Bob. The guy had 40 years experience, was a noted CA court case RE expert, lived on the beach in Hawaii, just sharing his wisdom so newbies could have a fighting chance by cutting thru the nonsense with his very sharp REI knife.

    I'm not sure if Bob was booted from BP or he just got tired of the fight so I can't comment on that. But I will say that Bob actually taught me a lot in our many back and forth chats on here and I even adopted his arguments against using CAP rate to look at single-family houses. There have been two or three really good commentators who don't post anymore on here that I really enjoyed debating with. I always seemed to learn a little more each time one of them would post a question or rebuttal. It's not a bad thing to think deeper about your own views and get questioned.

    On a side note, Matt, I did not know that he had an expertise per se.  I just knew that he had years and years of experience on most of us and while he may have been ornery in the 2-dimensional forum world, I bet it would be cool to sit and have a beer with him and listen.

    I'm a relative newbie, I learned everything I know about real estate "cap rate" from Bob Bowlings' posts. I had been exposed to the cap rate concept in areas other than real estate and Bob's explanation of cap rate was consistent with how cap rate is used outside of real estate. 

    Some of the more significant concepts in cap rate according to Bob's explanation - It's normally used in commercial real estate (not residential). It's NOT a performance metric, rather it is a valuation metric. It's one of the more misunderstood metric in real estate. To this day cap rate is still widely misunderstood and misused.

    Bob was always glad to get into debates about cap rate which ironically were where I found him to be highly educational. But my understanding is that he was booted off of BP because he was winning too many debates against the wrong people... (i.e. the powers that be <G>)... I still try to get on BP, but I'm not as motivated as I once was when the likes of Bob were still active. I don't know him personally but I hope he's doing well.

    Cheers... Immanuel

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Immanuel Sibero:
    Originally posted by @Chris Clothier:
    Originally posted by @Matt R.:
    Originally posted by @Amit M.:

    @Jay Hinrichs huh, so bob bowling got banned? I thought he was an older guy and may be got sick or something and stopped posting. Too bad. BP is foolish to ban him, as he’s contributed not only good info, but entertainment, and I’m sure he’s brought BP plenty of page views too...which is a key metric for any commercial web site. 

    Long live the golden goose!

    Yes, that was dumb af to ban Bob. The guy had 40 years experience, was a noted CA court case RE expert, lived on the beach in Hawaii, just sharing his wisdom so newbies could have a fighting chance by cutting thru the nonsense with his very sharp REI knife.

    I'm not sure if Bob was booted from BP or he just got tired of the fight so I can't comment on that. But I will say that Bob actually taught me a lot in our many back and forth chats on here and I even adopted his arguments against using CAP rate to look at single-family houses. There have been two or three really good commentators who don't post anymore on here that I really enjoyed debating with. I always seemed to learn a little more each time one of them would post a question or rebuttal. It's not a bad thing to think deeper about your own views and get questioned.

    On a side note, Matt, I did not know that he had an expertise per se.  I just knew that he had years and years of experience on most of us and while he may have been ornery in the 2-dimensional forum world, I bet it would be cool to sit and have a beer with him and listen.

    I'm a relative newbie, I learned everything I know about real estate "cap rate" from Bob Bowlings' posts. I had been exposed to the cap rate concept in areas other than real estate and Bob's explanation of cap rate was consistent with how cap rate is used outside of real estate. 

    Some of the more significant concepts in cap rate according to Bob's explanation - It's normally used in commercial real estate (not residential). It's NOT a performance metric, rather it is a valuation metric. It's one of the more misunderstood metric in real estate. To this day cap rate is still widely misunderstood and misused.

    Bob was always glad to get into debates about cap rate which ironically were where I found him to be highly educational. But my understanding is that he was booted off of BP because he was winning too many debates against the wrong people... (i.e. the powers that be <G>)... I still try to get on BP, but I'm not as motivated as I once was when the likes of Bob were still active. I don't know him personally but I hope he's doing well.

    Cheers... Immanuel

    I can confirm that he in fact was booted off BP.. he didn't just get tired of posting. He is alive and doing okay for those wondering :)

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Chris Clothier:
    Originally posted by @Matt R.:
    Originally posted by @Amit M.:

    @Jay Hinrichs huh, so bob bowling got banned? I thought he was an older guy and may be got sick or something and stopped posting. Too bad. BP is foolish to ban him, as he’s contributed not only good info, but entertainment, and I’m sure he’s brought BP plenty of page views too...which is a key metric for any commercial web site. 

    Long live the golden goose!

    Yes, that was dumb af to ban Bob. The guy had 40 years experience, was a noted CA court case RE expert, lived on the beach in Hawaii, just sharing his wisdom so newbies could have a fighting chance by cutting thru the nonsense with his very sharp REI knife.

    I'm not sure if Bob was booted from BP or he just got tired of the fight so I can't comment on that. But I will say that Bob actually taught me a lot in our many back and forth chats on here and I even adopted his arguments against using CAP rate to look at single-family houses. There have been two or three really good commentators who don't post anymore on here that I really enjoyed debating with. I always seemed to learn a little more each time one of them would post a question or rebuttal. It's not a bad thing to think deeper about your own views and get questioned.

    On a side note, Matt, I did not know that he had an expertise per se.  I just knew that he had years and years of experience on most of us and while he may have been ornery in the 2-dimensional forum world, I bet it would be cool to sit and have a beer with him and listen.

    For sure. Idk much about it other than I think his expertise was RE valuations. Maybe probate stuff?

  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Matt R.:
    Originally posted by @Chris Clothier:
    Originally posted by @Matt R.:
    Originally posted by @Amit M.:

    @Jay Hinrichs huh, so bob bowling got banned? I thought he was an older guy and may be got sick or something and stopped posting. Too bad. BP is foolish to ban him, as he’s contributed not only good info, but entertainment, and I’m sure he’s brought BP plenty of page views too...which is a key metric for any commercial web site. 

    Long live the golden goose!

    Yes, that was dumb af to ban Bob. The guy had 40 years experience, was a noted CA court case RE expert, lived on the beach in Hawaii, just sharing his wisdom so newbies could have a fighting chance by cutting thru the nonsense with his very sharp REI knife.

    I'm not sure if Bob was booted from BP or he just got tired of the fight so I can't comment on that. But I will say that Bob actually taught me a lot in our many back and forth chats on here and I even adopted his arguments against using CAP rate to look at single-family houses. There have been two or three really good commentators who don't post anymore on here that I really enjoyed debating with. I always seemed to learn a little more each time one of them would post a question or rebuttal. It's not a bad thing to think deeper about your own views and get questioned.

    On a side note, Matt, I did not know that he had an expertise per se.  I just knew that he had years and years of experience on most of us and while he may have been ornery in the 2-dimensional forum world, I bet it would be cool to sit and have a beer with him and listen.

    For sure. Idk much about it other than I think his expertise was RE valuations. Maybe probate stuff?

    His worked as a real estate appraiser in the Bay Area for a few decades (hence the familiarity with 'crap rates') ;)

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    6y

    The thing you have to remember about any forum is that because you have no way to vet each investor you have to believe that what they’re saying is actually true. So how much of it is really true

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Marcus Johnson:

    The thing you have to remember about any forum is that because you have no way to vet each investor you have to believe that what they’re saying is actually true. So how much of it is really true

     There is a famous quote from Abraham Lincoln, "Don't believe everything your read on the internet."

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Buzzing over the white noise and finding the real gold is what forums are all about :) I swear it's a skill set in its own right.  Forrest through the trees kind of thing.

  • Mark F.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Elgin, IL · Member since 2016 · 326 posts · 270 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:
    Originally posted by @Marcus Johnson:

    The thing you have to remember about any forum is that because you have no way to vet each investor you have to believe that what they’re saying is actually true. So how much of it is really true

     There is a famous quote from Abraham Lincoln, "Don't believe everything your read on the internet."

    Ok @Joe Splitrock - now that's funny, love it!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jay Hinrichs its very common approach by most Guru's IE: " I was broke living in my parents garage or homeless or whatever then I found the secret sauce so I just want to share it with you.. "

    —————

    for

    a

    fee

    ————

    3words

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2018 · 169 posts · 77 votes
    6y

    Ill just leave this here since the thread is about him... @Michael Ealy

    Love hearing both sides of an argument

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Andrey Y.:
    Originally posted by @Immanuel Sibero:
    Originally posted by @Chris Clothier:
    Originally posted by @Matt R.:
    Originally posted by @Amit M.:

    @Jay Hinrichs huh, so bob bowling got banned? I thought he was an older guy and may be got sick or something and stopped posting. Too bad. BP is foolish to ban him, as he’s contributed not only good info, but entertainment, and I’m sure he’s brought BP plenty of page views too...which is a key metric for any commercial web site. 

    Long live the golden goose!

    Yes, that was dumb af to ban Bob. The guy had 40 years experience, was a noted CA court case RE expert, lived on the beach in Hawaii, just sharing his wisdom so newbies could have a fighting chance by cutting thru the nonsense with his very sharp REI knife.

    I'm not sure if Bob was booted from BP or he just got tired of the fight so I can't comment on that. But I will say that Bob actually taught me a lot in our many back and forth chats on here and I even adopted his arguments against using CAP rate to look at single-family houses. There have been two or three really good commentators who don't post anymore on here that I really enjoyed debating with. I always seemed to learn a little more each time one of them would post a question or rebuttal. It's not a bad thing to think deeper about your own views and get questioned.

    On a side note, Matt, I did not know that he had an expertise per se.  I just knew that he had years and years of experience on most of us and while he may have been ornery in the 2-dimensional forum world, I bet it would be cool to sit and have a beer with him and listen.

    I'm a relative newbie, I learned everything I know about real estate "cap rate" from Bob Bowlings' posts. I had been exposed to the cap rate concept in areas other than real estate and Bob's explanation of cap rate was consistent with how cap rate is used outside of real estate. 

    Some of the more significant concepts in cap rate according to Bob's explanation - It's normally used in commercial real estate (not residential). It's NOT a performance metric, rather it is a valuation metric. It's one of the more misunderstood metric in real estate. To this day cap rate is still widely misunderstood and misused.

    Bob was always glad to get into debates about cap rate which ironically were where I found him to be highly educational. But my understanding is that he was booted off of BP because he was winning too many debates against the wrong people... (i.e. the powers that be <G>)... I still try to get on BP, but I'm not as motivated as I once was when the likes of Bob were still active. I don't know him personally but I hope he's doing well.

    Cheers... Immanuel

    I can confirm that he in fact was booted off BP.. he didn't just get tired of posting. He is alive and doing okay for those wondering :)

     I always liked Bob's post. He called it like he saw it. Need more of that around here. Far too much "the blind leading the blind" going on.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y

     .............Shots fired.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.