Urgent question: city orders on property

4 Replies

Happy new year everyone!

I’m a new investor and am seeking some advice regarding a property that I’m in the process of purchasing. During the due diligence process, I’ve discovered that the property has two open city orders on it -

1. Back-flow preventer device and

2. Electrical permit (IBI).

Can someone please tell me what this means? Are the sellers supposed to close all open orders before selling? What should be my next step to deal with this open order issue?

Appreciate all the help!

You would have to check with the city for exact details, as it could vary from city to city. 

Is someone living in the property now?  They could be accruing daily, weekly, or monthly fine/fees from the city until they are not complete.  If you are using conventional financing to purchase the property, they could hold up or stop the financing. 

My suggestion, go to the city building department, tell them you are interested in purchasing the property, find out what they will require from you to close the orders, and if their is any fees or fines being assessed to the property because of them.  That is the only way to get a complete answer.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you