• Rental Property Investor
  • Decatur, GA
Votes |
Making That First Step in Investing and Another Setback Strikes

Chuck Dangar
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Decatur, GA
Posted Jan 10 2020, 17:53

Anyone ever experience issues getting qualified for college grants/scholarships for your kids when you have money saved in the bank for investment properties?  I've been working for a couple years now to build a rental property business account with money in it to prepare for a new investment business and our accountant is saying it would count against us since it's cash sitting there.  Does anyone know if this is true?  If it's sitting in a business account can colleges look at that money as accessible cash a college might see as accessible money which in turn would reduce college grant money allowed.  My in-laws also want to help offset cost of college tuition but i don't think the in-laws money and the business account money should be counted against or show a larger pot of money available for college tuition.  If so this might finally just push me into getting my first investment property to put the money to use.  I obviously want my kids to go to college but I feel like every step toward getting a property the world pushes back.

So Example:

Annual Income - $100k

Rental Property Business Account Cash - $30k

In-Laws - $40K

Would we even qualify for any kind of college grants?

From your experience if you even make over "blank amount of $" then should we even bother trying to get grants?

Loading replies...