newbie rental investor

7 Replies

Skip the analysis and buy on a feeling

Skip due diligence

Fall in love with a deal

Don't use an agent

So many more I'm sure there's a book or two out there

There are so many to list. The most important is knowing your numbers. If you don't know how to calculate cashflow accurately, you're taking a shot in the dark. Graham Stephen has a great video tutorial on calculating Cashflow: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgWcrsavcJs&t=155s

Also, a lot of rookie investors (speaking from experience), don't fully understand the closing costs associated with buying real-estate. So make sure you do your homework and understand the additional costs on top of the downpayment.

You'll also want to ask yourself if you want to manage the property yourself, or if you want to outsource the management of the property too... you guessed it! A property manager. This will cut into your overall profit, but could make your life much easier. A good property manager could also act as a great resource for you as you acquired new rental properties.

Screen your tenants!!! This one is often overlooked and you hear horror stories all the time about bad tenants. Make sure you get solid references, do a credit check, verify their income, and so forth.

Just a few tips to get started from one rookie to another :)

ask questions than ask more questions than ask a few more questions....did I mention ask questions?

Dont feel like a question is stupid! If you have a questions ask

thats a big mistake you can ask and it can cost money in the long run

@Walter A. Ferman my intention was to list mistakes to avoid. I firmly believe you should have an agent sending you deals. I also believe you need to analyze a deal and never fall in love with it, fall in love with the numbers, not the deal.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you