What to do next after getting an interested seller

14 Replies

Hi BP community! I am new to BP and am a new investor. I have been driving for dollars and spreading the word that I am in the market to buy in my home city of Tucson. After looking for off market leads, I developed a relationship with a couple possible contenders who showed strong interest in selling to me. Any recommendations of what to do next? I'd love to hear your thoughts/experience/stories. Thanks!

Hi Eric! Welcome to the investment community!!! I am a newbie in wholesaling as well. I made the fatal mistake of investing in a seminar to learn about real estate. If you are looking to learn about wholesaling, I really recommend www.thewholesalerstoolbox.com. I have learned way more utilizing this website than anything else. A couple of things that this website recommends using to find cash buyers to assign contracts to is Deal Machine app and/or Cash Buyer's Data Feed. I have recently signed up with Deal Machine, so I can't really give a yeah or nay as of yet using their app, but I will say I've read/heard great things about Deal Machine. Best of Luck to you!~April

@Eric Striegel We are also looking for the off market deals. Driving for dollars is one of the strategies to find off market properties. Could you please share your experience on how you were able to find this lead?

I am also looking to understand how we close the deal once we have an interested seller. what are the things to be considered while making an offer, writing up a contract etc. Thank you

@Varun Talluri I was encouraged by one of the bp podcasts I listened to yesterday that mentioned telling everyone you know that you are in the market for buying homes. While I was at work as a home health physical therapist, I was driving up to my patient's house and noticed that the neighborhood looked old but well taken care of. I just struck up a conversation about how much I liked the neighborhood and how nice their house was, etc. They were very appreciative and friendly. Then I asked them for a quick favor to let me know if they know of anyone in the neighborhood that may be interested in selling. Once I asked them that, they casually mentioned that they were looking to downsize and wanted to sell their house but didn't want to do the work to get it ready/cleaned up to sell. I kindly told them that I'd be very interested in their home and would purchase it as is and off market so they wouldn't have to fix it up and deal with showings, etc. They were excited and wanted to talk more after they thought about it for a day or two. I will be following up with them this weekend. It just took a simple and friendly conversation. They loved when I complimented their house and all the things they had done to it. Now I just want to be prepared to negotiate and correctly do a purchase agreement/contract. As I've never done this before, I am interested to hear about successful transactions like this.

@Eric Striegel the answer to your question really depends on what exit strategy or strategies you are considering. Are you considering it as a possible wholesale deal, a whole-tail, fix & flip, acquiring it as a buy/hold rental? You need to have an exit strategy in mind before you can determine how to work with and provide a solution to the homeowner that is interested in selling to you. After all, you are helping them solve a problem. In this case, they want to downsize and don't want to deal with the hassle of making any repairs. When you follow up, dig a little deeper and find out what their other motivations and expectations are. Just like you did before, have a natural conversation with them and see what else you can uncover. You potentially have a great opportunity on your hands. 

Some of the things that you have to know for your negotiations are 1) ARV - after repair value of the home once renovated (if you plan on wholesaling/ rehabbing it/ etc.), 2) Cost of needed repairs, 3) MAO - Maximum allowable offer taking into consideration the ARV, comps, repair costs, etc., 4) How you will fund the deal (your own cash/ hard money/ private money/ creative financing/ etc.), 5) Holding costs if you close on it and don't wholesale it immediately, 6) If you sell, will you go the FSBO (for sale buy owner) route, or use a Realtor, etc.

It's all a learning process so keep educating yourself and networking. If you don't feel 100% comfortable with the lead, maybe you can identify another active local investor in your market that you can partner up with to help walk you through it. You will have to figure out a split for any profit but the education will be worth it. Also, make use of the BP calculators under the Tools tab to play around with some numbers to see what makes sense for different strategies. Best of luck! 

Originally posted by @Eric Striegel :

Hi BP community! I am new to BP and am a new investor. I have been driving for dollars and spreading the word that I am in the market to buy in my home city of Tucson. After looking for off market leads, I developed a relationship with a couple possible contenders who showed strong interest in selling to me. Any recommendations of what to do next? I’d love to hear your thoughts/experience/stories. Thanks!

I first ask what they would like to see happen and when.  Then I listen.

After they tell me I say I will put pen to paper and see what I can do. 

I then draft a letter of intent with 3 scenarios that work for me, catered to what they told me above. 

Originally posted by @Eric Striegel :

Hi BP community! I am new to BP and am a new investor. I have been driving for dollars and spreading the word that I am in the market to buy in my home city of Tucson. After looking for off market leads, I developed a relationship with a couple possible contenders who showed strong interest in selling to me. Any recommendations of what to do next? I’d love to hear your thoughts/experience/stories. Thanks!

You put the property under contract. You take your contract or email your contract to your preferred title company. Next you arrange your funding so you can close or you assign your contract to someone that can close.

Well, if it was me, I would write up a Purchase Agreement. However, I have purchased many properties in the past. If I was new, I would be working with a real estate agent and be preapproved for a mortgage from a lender first and foremost. I would not enter into a PA without having a very good idea of what should be in that agreement.

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :
Originally posted by @Eric Striegel:

I then draft a letter of intent with 3 scenarios that work for me, catered to what they told me above. 

I used to do the three offer thing when I got started. I actually bought some from it :-) do you have a template you edit each time? I worked up something from scratch each time. Most of the purchases I get now I get on the first visit and we work out a deal on the spot.

Originally posted by @Joe S. :
Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:
Originally posted by @Eric Striegel:

I used to do the three offer thing when I got started. I actually bought some from it :-) do you have a template you edit each time? I worked up something from scratch each time. Most of the purchases I get now I get on the first visit and we work out a deal on the spot.

Yep, I have a template. For small residential properties it's a warm letter.  Large commercial, much different.

I used to offer on the spot.  I guess I could if someone is really needing that, but I've found the reluctant approach to be much more effective.  Let me think it over type of thing.  

Steve Vaughan~ I like how you think! I think I'll use that same strategy. I'm currently "hopefully" getting ready to put a piece of land under contract, which I typically do not wholesale land, but have another wholesaler working with me on this (with more experience) in order to learn, but also cut him in on the deal as well.

Eric Striegel~that is AWESOME!!! Just like you, I am a real "people person" and love to mingle. My first deal came out of a casual conversation to an individual that knew I was an investor. Once they got to know me for a little while, they contacted me and "there you go!" The best advertisement is word-of-mouth. If you ever need help with anything that I can help you with, feel free to reach out to me. I will be glad to help, and if I don't know the answer....I'll sure see if I can't find out cause it helps us both to learn....Best of Luck to you!~April

Joe S.~I'm a little curious as to what kind of strategy you use to make an offer on-the-spot?? I'm assuming you've been doing this a while...lol Being a newbie, I'd be somewhat nervous doing that. However, I also realize that sometimes that may be necessary pending on the "feel" of the situation.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you