Should I Do A Cash Out Refi On My Primary to Pay Off A Rental?

2 Replies

I am about to refinance my primary mortgage from 3.75% down to 2.875% and am considering doing a cash out refinance to pay off a rental I have with a 5.875% rate with $57k left on the mortgage. Crunching the numbers it looks like my primary mortgage payment will go up about $140 while I will drop the rental payment of $345 for a net increase in cashflow of about $200 per month. My rental is in my name and not in an LLC.

Think I should do this or just refinance the primary and drop my primary mortgage payment by $100 and leave the rental leveraged?

@Eric H. The cash out refi is the sort of creative thing that investors need to do these days to help with cashflow.  I would do it, but I would also consider using the cash out refi as a downpayment to purchase another property.  Have you considered that/ are you interested in growing your portfolio?

@Eric H. , I would do it if I thought I could get the money out of the rental again if needed. You could always refinance it or get a line of credit secured by the rental. I hate having equity sitting idle in a property, though, I'm sure others would disagree. It certainly is riskier putting your house on the line, but to me it is a simple numbers game. You are borrowing the money at 2.875% and investing it into the rental property. So what is your return on the rental? Does it make sense? Could you do better elsewhere?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you