Sinking stem wall in garage

2 Replies

Hello everyone!

I bought a Duplex last year built in 1973 only issue I noticed at that time was cracks in garage floor I asked home inspector if it was a concern they said its common for older houses to have cracks in the floor, but now a year later I wanted get the cracks fixed my contractor told me there's bigger issue floor is cracking on 1 side because Stem wall sunk 1.5 inches. I went through my home inspection report again and they labeled those cracks as common cracks, now its gonna cost me around $8000 to lift stem wall.

Does anyone know if this was something home inspector absolutely shouldn't have missed?

Any advise is appreciated. 

Thanks 

Harvinder, I'm far from a professional, but most home inspections I've read through are usually full of disclaimers. The inspector may recommend that you check with a professional and do your due deligence prior to closing the deal. I would think that it would be very hard to prove the inspector was negligent. I would also think it would take cost you a lot more than 8k to fight this battle. I would recommend that you fix it correctly and chalk it up as value add. If you ever decide to sell the property you will not have to disclose the sinkage of the stem wall. Also, the beauty of being a real estate investor is that the repair will be tax deductible, keep your receipts and write it off in a couple of months. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you