6 units building with $101K annual rent. Is it a good ROI?

6 units building with $101K annual rent. Is it a good ROI?

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 0 votes

Hi,

I have 6 units building that was purchased for $780K in Chicago area. Bought it early this year and bumped up the rent from $82K/year based on the previous owner to $101K yearly rental income. 

The property tax is about $9,300/year. 

Water and Garbage about $6,000/year. 

Electricity about $360/year. 

Landscaping maintenance about $2,000/year. 

Repair maintenance about $8,000/year

Insurance about $2,500/year

Gross Net about $72,840/year

Please let me know if this is a good ROI and if it is wise to keep it for a long term with this ROI? Any input or suggestions appreciated. Thanks Yanto

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y

Sounds like a good ROI. I'd get a loan and cash out while rates are low.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicagoland · Member since 2018 · 314 posts · 199 votes
    5y

    I invest in the Chicago area, I'd be curious where this building is. From the numbers you're talking about, I'd be concerned the neighborhood has issues.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    It is located around Hermosa and Belmont Cragin. It is a nice location and upcoming. What do you think of the ROI? Thanks

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Well that makes it a 9% cap rate. What's your cash flow and how much cash do you have in the deal?

  • Owen DashnerPro Member
    Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Yes, a 9.2 cap rate is really good. What is your COC return?

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Paid all cash and COC ROI is 8.67% based on BP Rental Report Calculator. Any suggestions to make it better ROI? Should I get a loan for this to maximize ROI? Thanks

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    The reason I am asking this question because I found this 6 units building for my investor who paid cash and want to know if this is a good ROI for them. I found the building and had my contractor did some work and then increased the annual rent from $82K/annual to $101K/annual. I do not know what is considered great ROI out there for housing investment.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Sounds like a good ROI. I'd get a loan and cash out while rates are low.

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Yanto Njam:

    Hi,

    I have 6 units building that was purchased for $780K in Chicago area. Bought it early this year and bumped up the rent from $82K/year based on the previous owner to $101K yearly rental income. 

    The property tax is about $9,300/year. 

    Water and Garbage about $6,000/year. 

    Electricity about $360/year. 

    Landscaping maintenance about $2,000/year. 

    Repair maintenance about $8,000/year

    Insurance about $2,500/year

    Gross Net about $72,840/year

    Please let me know if this is a good ROI and if it is wise to keep it for a long term with this ROI? Any input or suggestions appreciated. Thanks Yanto

    Based on the numbers above you're at a 9.3% CAP. In my opinion, if the building is truly stable in rent & expenses then it is wise to keep the building for the long term. If you paid cash & can show a lender that the operation is stable then I would refinance it & pull cash to look for the next investment.

  • Owen DashnerPro Member
    Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    If the only consideration is how to juice your ROI, then obviously it makes sense to use leverage. 9% COC is less than what most investors look to get for a return.

    However, If you are someone who is completely risk averse and hates debt, then that is a whole other topic.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thank you for all the feedbacks. It makes lot of sense to get a loan to finance the building and use the cash for another building. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.