Second real estate investment, following up on a house hack.

2 Replies

I'm a beginner trying to make sure my basic strategy makes sense. I've got plans to start a house hack in the next 2 months. Assuming everything goes well I'm wondering what the next step should be. I've gotten some advice to stay in the property long enough to buy another investment and do a 1031 exchange . I've also gotten advice that simply I should start going for cash flow propertys.

Thanks for the input!

While there are many ways to cut it, a very common method to get your first few properties is to house hack your way using owner occupied and low money down mortgage loans. This requires little out of pocket, and you can still purchase up to 4 unit properties using these loan products.

Buy a house hack, live in it for a year...move out and repeat! depending on your DTI and credit score you can work with a bank or multiple banks to secure multiples properties before having to resort to your "investment funds" which you could save up over the years while you house hack.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you