San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 3 votes
Hello,
I've modeled my investment property cashflows in excel. In my model, should I be counting the depreciation tax shield as cash flow? Logically, it seems like it is cash flow since it is indeed, cash in my pocket. I plan to use the depreciation cash flow in other investments of stock or real estate.
Finally, if I move back into the rental property for 2 years, can I avoid depreciation recapture using the $250k tax exemption on sale of owner occupied homes?
Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
13y
Jeff Wang - of course the tax shield is real money and should be included in your computations. As far as how to do it, you can simply compute an "after tax return" on your investment, and if you like you can compute a "pre-tax equivalent return", where you divide the A/T return by (1 minus your marginal tax rate). This is done all the time with investments that enjoy some sort of tax benefit/preference/credit.
The pre-tax equiv return can be more readily compared to other fully taxable yields you see out there in the marketplace.
As far as your cash flow scheduling, this should be done on an after-tax basis anyway, so you will pick it up in that analysis. After all, it's not now much you make, it's how much you keep...
San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 3 votes
13y
That is a useful article but it doesn't talk about depreciation recapture. It did link to the IRS website and it appears you cannot avoid depreciation recapture using the personal gain exemption ($250k):
On May 30, 1997, Amy bought a house. She moved in on that date and lived in it until May 31, 1999, when she moved out of the house and put it up for rent. The house was rented from June 1, 1999, to March 31, 2001. Amy moved back into the house on April 1, 2001, and lived there until she sold it on January 31, 2003. During the 5-year period ending on the date of the sale (February 1, 1998 - January 31, 2003), Amy owned and lived in the house for more than 2 years as shown in the table below.
Amy can exclude gain up to $250,000. However, she cannot exclude the part of the gain equal to the depreciation she claimed for renting the house.
San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 3 votes
13y
I am not sure that I agree that depreciation tax shield is creative math. I think of it more like a dividend paid from Uncle Sam. If I don't account for it in my cash flow analysis, how should I count it? It is definitely money that I can use to pay down the mortgage or for whatever else. If I do a 1031 exchange, I'll never have to repay the depreciation.
If I'm trying to calculate a return on investment, how do I account for the depreciation tax break?
Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
13y
Jeff Wang - of course the tax shield is real money and should be included in your computations. As far as how to do it, you can simply compute an "after tax return" on your investment, and if you like you can compute a "pre-tax equivalent return", where you divide the A/T return by (1 minus your marginal tax rate). This is done all the time with investments that enjoy some sort of tax benefit/preference/credit.
The pre-tax equiv return can be more readily compared to other fully taxable yields you see out there in the marketplace.
As far as your cash flow scheduling, this should be done on an after-tax basis anyway, so you will pick it up in that analysis. After all, it's not now much you make, it's how much you keep...
San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 3 votes
13y
Well, I will probably calculate my returns both ways. Even if you pay it back, you are forgetting about the time value of money. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar 10 years from now (or whenever you sell). Put another way, let's say I got 10k in depreciation tax shield and I put it in a 10 year treasury note yielding 5%.
In 10 years, that 10k is now worth $16,222. If I sell the house, I will pay back the $10k and I've made the difference of $6,222 in the process. You are essentially given a 0% loan. Or, if your marginal tax rate is > 25%, Uncle Sam is paying you money, since depreciation recapture is 25% vs your potentially higher marginal tax rate. That is the way I think about this.
1031 Exchange Qualified Intermediary · San Diego, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y
@Ryan Logsdon is not correct regarding the $250,000 tax free exclusion. First, depreciation recapture can not be avoided through the 121 Exclusion. Second, Section 121 of the Internal Revenue Code was modified in 2008. Capital gain is now allocated between the number of years that you held the property as rental property (non-qualified use) versus the number of years that you lived in it as your primary residence (qualified use). The gain allocated to non-qualified use is taxable and the gain allocated to qualified use is tax free up to the $250,000 limit.
@Ryan M. Depreciation recapture is only taxed if you sell and do not structure a 1031 Exchange. Depreciation recapture is not taxed (does not have to be paid back) if you continue to 1031 Exchange throughout your lifetime and then your heirs inherit the property at your death (i.e. "swap 'til you drop).
Exeter 1031 Exchange Services, LLC and Exeter Trust Company4.726 Reviews