Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Lee Stephens
  • Investor
  • Rosemont, IL
Votes |
Home Inspection Results - NEED OPINIONS!

Lee Stephens
  • Investor
  • Rosemont, IL
Posted Jan 26 2021, 08:00
Hey BP, I have a 4 unit under contract in Elgin, IL that just got inspected. I have some questions regarding the report as I would like additional opinions on how serious these issues may be and if it is worth proceeding with the deal: 1). There was seepage and required tuckpointing repairs noted in the basement (the basement is unfinished and used for storage / laundry / mechanical purposes) - is this something I should be seriously concerned when thinking long term and what might these issues point to? 2). Windows throughout building were drafty. There are at least 35 wood single pane windows which all appear to be in average condition, however there is evidence of caulking - How long do you typically budget a window to last before repairing? This concerns me due to the future cost to replace these windows. 3). 100k (estimated) BTU Boiler is 21 years old - said to be in good condition but I understand that this is fairly old for a boiler. Should I expect to have to replace it soon? 4). The heating system is not zoned, but there is evidence (one for each unit) that it was once zoned in each of the 4 units as there are 4 separate pipes and old thermostats in the units that are inaccessible. I don't understand why an owner would unzone the heat and I'm wondering how costly it would be to re-implement the zoning system. *DISCLAIMER* - this is my first deal under contract and I am the least bit handy; therefore, I am expecting a lot of the inspection results to sound scary (and they do), but I also don't want to walk into a bad deal. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. The listing is below. Thank you!! https://www.redfin.com/IL/Elgin/532-South-St-60123/unit-3/home/16932194

Loading replies...