Will CRE career be advantageous to becoming an RE investor

6 Replies

Hello all, 

For those who previously worked in commercial real estate (e.g. acquisitions, investment management, etc.) prior to becoming an investor, do you think working in the industry helped you meaningfully in developing the skills and knowledge to becoming a real estate investor? For those that did not previously work in commercial real estate, did you experience any restrictions? I understand with all these resources online that a person of any background can be a real estate investor, but as I begin to consider a career that I want to purse (I am a college freshman), I am wondering if working in CRE will bring significant differentiation if my goal is to become an investor in the future. Please share your thoughts; I truly value all your opinions!

Many thanks, 

Henry

Commercial Real Estate make a whole world of difference. Almost all the formulas on real estate investing is derived from commercial real estate. As a broker starting off with residential real estate. If I was able to turn back time I would have started with commercial real estate first. Here I am today well rounded in many aspects of real estate including development and building. You will eventually investing in CRE if you want to scale your portfolio with multi family, MHP etc. You cant be buying single homes and condos forever.

Originally posted by @Henry Huang :

@Hai Loc appreciate the insight, Hai! I'm guessing any CRE position brings unique skill sets to the table, but are there any roles you think are especially valuable?

If your not a real estate broker I would say real estate appraiser. Maybe a commercial mortgage broker because you underwrite income statements and rent roll of assets. Property Management and Leasing agent has some perks but not much to do in regards to investment analysis.. 

Hi @Henry Huang . It's a great move for you to start early on the path you want to eventually pursue. I have often wished I had gotten into CRE in my 20s rather than my 40s. I see 7 paths to getting into CRE, and getting a job is one of those paths. Here is an article on this topic for MHP investing, but it applies more broadly to CRE: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

The jobs that come to mind include appraiser, commercial mortgage broker, financial analyst, commercial real estate broker, asset manager, and property manager. 

Gary Keller, the world's most famous real estate broker, started as a Realtor. Rick Graf, CEO of Pinnacle, one of the four largest multifamily property management firms with over 150,000 doors under management, started off as a multifamily porter in college. I'm excited to see the progress of your career! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you