General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Dee
Votes |
Use Holding Company LLC To Apply For Mortgages

Tommy Dee
Posted Apr 12 2021, 15:18

Getting started in real estate investing.  Trying to figure out how to structure what I'm hoping to build.

I've owned a decently successful online retail business for 10 years.  I understand, and have read more about this in regards to real estate, the problems with obtaining business credit.

My initial thought is to register a new LLC as a holding company. I'd do the regular routine of tradelines and charge cards to build some credit. Then, I'd find a property and apply for a mortgage under the LLC. I realize that I'd probably have to give a personal guarantee on this. The tricky part comes when I'm ready for property #2. Hopefully, I'd be able to get the next mortgage, as long as I have good cash flow, through the LLC. It may take more than one property under my belt. Regardless, if I wanted to keep separate LLC's for each individual property, could I make that happen? I'm guessing there are due on sale clauses if I tried to quit claim from Holding Company LLC to Property A LLC?

I thought I might just spin off my current business to it's own new LLC and use my current LLC, with it's credit, as my Real Estate Holding LLC.  But, regardless, the same questions arise.

I realize I may be making the real estate business sound much simpler than it is, and will of course talk to a CPA an attorney before I do anything.  But, just like planning things as much as I can.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Loading replies...