Single family investment

4 Replies

Hoping to get some feedback in regards to cash on cash and cap rate for a single family investment property I'm looking to purchase. Purchase price of 215K (Currently worth about 230-235K). Total Cash investment is $63,750 (25% down and 10K costs/repairs). Annual Gross Rents is $19,200, Annual Expense is $8750 = NOI is $10,450. Annual debt service is $8689 (3.5%-30 year ($724 P&I). Cash Flow Annually=$1761 There is definitely an opportunity to increase rents by $200/month and the house is in a highly desirable area and I own the property next door as an investment. Current cash on cash is 2.76% and cap rate is 4.86%. Thoughts?

@Paul Sassin , does your "Annual Expense" calculation account for vacancy, cap ex, and repairs? If not, you would have negative cash-flow at current rents.

This does not look like a solid cash-flowing deal to me. Look for monthly rent AT LEAST 1% of purchase price preferably somewhat more than that.

@Paul Sassin , cap ex isn't just the rehab. If you own a property for 25 years, you will have more cap ex expenses eventually. So, I would add something to the annual expense for that as well.

Whether you view these as acceptable numbers is highly market dependent. In my market I wouldn't even consider a deal like this.

Here is my last completed deal. Purchased a small functional single family home for $20k, rehabbed it for $10k plus some of my own labor. Refinanced out $45k ($15k more than invested) based on a $60k appraised value. Rented for $940 per month. Obviously it cash flows fine and I have no money left in the deal. In fact, I have an extra $15k that I pulled out of the deal (tax free).

That is a hard deal to find especially right now, but that's what I still hope to find more of myself.

You would be investing quite a bit of money for your return, as opposed to me having less than $0 left in my deal and cash flowing well. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you