How can a 18yr old find Commercial RE Investors?

5 Replies

(The majority is an into to myself. You can just skip to the bottom if you want to get to the question)

My name is Pulino Gonzalez. I will be 18 in a week.

I’m an Early college students so I’ve gotten to experience college earlier which allowed me to mature a little quicker.

This is my last term in Early college, I will be graduating high-school.

I will continue to go to college to get a real estate license and a business or finance bachelors.

Anyways, I want to get into real estate as fast as I can(without cutting corners) to quickly build a portfolio.

I want to go into commercial RE as an 18 year old if possible(not because of age just because I want to get started as soon as I can. Doesn’t have to be 18. It’s just kind of a idea)

While that’s in progress

I want to have at least 5 residential properties, but once I hit that I’ll start looking for commercial ones more aggressively .

This is where my question comes:

How can an 18 year old secure invests for a commercial deal?

If you were me, what would you do?

Thank you!

@Paulino Gonzalez I'm very envious of you wanting to start early in your investing career!

I think you have great goals to acquire 5 residential properties. This will provide good cash flow for you while you progress in investing.  However, if you really want to jump into commercial, then why not get in it right away?  

Commercial real estate is very much a team sport. When you see deals taken down, many times it is done with a team of people.  Think about what skills you have or can acquire that can help a real estate team in their commercial real estate endeavors? For example, are you good with spreadsheets, in a market or close enough to a market where you can act as boots on the ground, etc.?

The earlier you start, the sooner you can build a successful business and career. Don't let your age stop you.  If you have the passion and the drive that will show and other will want to work with you.  Start or continue educating yourself and figure out what type of commercial real estate you want to get into.

Best of luck!

@AJ H. Thank you! So any skills aren’t there at the moment. However, I have a long list of books on real estate.

I have a handful of different into books, a couple flipping, and some other handful of different types. I want to get a couple different angles from them.

I also am interested in reading books from foreign investors. Because If they can do it and be profitable, that can be applied in many ways.

Anyways. The books I’m interest most right now are valuation books and market analysis. They are the majority of the books.

Do you think if I get real good at valuation and market analysis I can quickly create a team and find plenty of investors?

I know books doesn’t mean much compared to experience but they still hold their worth.

Thank you!

Check out Podcast 414 with evan hollady. Not exactly the same scenario as his interest was development but he did a great job of laying out how he got where he is no so quick through college working for a developer. Finding a pain point the guy had and getting people to show up to a ribbon cutting I believe. I think college kids have time and energy more than the typical commercial investor so use that to your advantage. 

Originally posted by @Paulino Gonzalez :

@AJ H. Thank you! So any skills aren’t there at the moment. However, I have a long list of books on real estate.

I have a handful of different into books, a couple flipping, and some other handful of different types. I want to get a couple different angles from them.

I also am interested in reading books from foreign investors. Because If they can do it and be profitable, that can be applied in many ways.

Anyways. The books I’m interest most right now are valuation books and market analysis. They are the majority of the books.

Do you think if I get real good at valuation and market analysis I can quickly create a team and find plenty of investors?

I know books doesn’t mean much compared to experience but they still hold their worth.

Thank you!

Market analysis and underwriting are skills most investors should possess in order to invest. However, some are better than others at it. So this is certainly a valuable skill for the right partner. 

Best of luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you