I have 50k to start, where should I invest

41 Replies

I have 50k to invest. Wanna buy multi families and apply brrrr strategy . The 50k will cover 30% down payment ( i am from canada) , closing cost, reno. Just wondering if that's enough. If yes, any place recommended ?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by @Chester Wang :

I have 50k to invest. Wanna buy multi families and apply brrrr strategy . The 50k will cover 30% down payment ( i am from canada) , closing cost, reno. Just wondering if that's enough. If yes, any place recommended ?

Thanks in advance

I would check out Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland

@Chester Wang

Four replies so far, three from agents, all touting the area where they sell property as the best...classic. 'To the man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.'

Based of your question the place where I think your money will get the best ROI is investing in yourself. Get educated on the various types of RE and get exposure to all the different niches. Then figure out which of those niches fits with your long term goals, knowledge, skills, and abilities.

@Chester Wang

Now that your inbox is full of messages from unscrupulous hacks trying to get commission business and/ or “partner” with you... I would suggest that your $50k is not going to go as far as you may hope unless you look to areas like eastern Canada (not a fan, overheated currently and not driven by ANY economic fundamentals), or western prairies MB, SK, and AB.

If you’re buying anything detached needing repairs and are wise enough to keep a slush fund,... you’re likely going to want to keep saving a bit.

Virtually no bank will give a real estate loan to a LLC and if your $50,000 is 30% of a down payment you then that comes out to a $171,000 multi-unit property that has to include the loan fees, closing costs and most banks make you prove that you have reserve cash in a bank account when the property closes escrow.

You will need to get really lucky to find a multi-unit property, or even a duplex with only $50,000 and if you purchase a property that is beyond the distance where you can be hands-on and you have to hire a management company, the chances are you will go bankrupt before you see one penny of profit.

No beginner in real estate should do long-distance investing. It takes a long time to explain all the pitfalls that cut into your profits and I will not elaborate, but one of the best ways to make money is by being hands-on for as much as you can and then you save a lot of money you can use to invest in more deals and you can learn how to manage real estate much faster vs. relying on other people for their advice and skills that are sometime so bad you will lose your money and hate investing in real estate.

You can do alot with $50,000 and be fairly successful, but never listen to advice from so-called professionals. You have to learn everything about the business so well that you can give advice rather than ask for advice. You need to be able to do the math so well you can explain it to brokers because when you rely on brokers for advice they usually tell you everything they have for sale is a great deal.

This is my secret (not really a secret) for getting rich when investing in real estate. First, you need to learn to understand and do this simple math. Take your $50,000 and invest only in real estate where you can earn 50% to 100% on your money every years. 

That means, if you have $50,000 today, you want to make a $25,000 to $50,000 profit (return on your money ROI) within 2 or 3 months of by the end of the year.

The next secret is; when many people have $50,000 in their pocket their anxiety is so high they don't know whether to poop or go blind. The money is burning a hole in their pocket and the jump on the first not-so-good deal that comes along and little to no profit is made. Had the high-anxiety investor let the money burn his pants a little longer a better deal would have come along.

If you cannot do a deal that will earn you 50% to 100% on your money every year then the secret is; DO NOT INVEST YOUR MONEY! Wait for the right deal.

My last not really a secret. The best way to earn 50% to 100% on your money every year is to 1) learn to do the math, 2) do the math, 3) look ad hundreds or thousands of properties and 4) look for properties where the math tells you:

a) your $50,000 investment will give you an instant profit of 50% to 100%, or $25,000 to $50,000 the day escrow closes because you math and other factors tell you the property is worth $25,000 to $50,000 more than you pay for the property. So, if you purchase a property for $250,000 with your $50,000 then to make 50% on your money when the property closes escrow the property has to be worth about $325,000 when it closes escrow.

Sure! It is sounds difficult to find a property for $250,000 that is worth $325,000, but it happens every day. If don't know what you are looking for and you don't look for it you will never find it. If you don't ask for a discount you will never get a discount. There are many ways to get huge discounts off properties. One is by asking and the other is by making an offer to purchase the property for the asking price and then negotiate when you do your inspections.

There are all sorts of ways you can get properties for discounts, but I don't have a lot of time to write. I purchased 28 properties at auction.com between 2008 and 2010 for 30 cents on the dollar and made several million dollars. 

Back to the secret. If you blow your wad of cash prematurely then you will never have the cash you need when a great deal falls on your lap.

@Jack Orthman thanks for the golden nuggets jack. As a beginner, I know I am not going to get a grand slam deal. My goal is simple , $150+/unit /month cash flow and 8% cap rate. Im going to start small, build my confident and system. Then take on next level opportunity

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you