Complaints over tree roots

4 Replies

A neighbor of a recently purchased property is complaining about my tree. First it was the tree limbs, that are not touching or close to touching the neighbor’s home, and now it is the roots. The neighbor is stating that my tree roots are invading their sewage pipes. If this is true, who is at fault? What steps should I take first?

I've seen some ugly confrontations between neighbors, The only advice I can give to you is not to let it get out of hand. Also she may be able to sew over it. I would do your research and proceed with caution.

@Trey Rittenhouse

Tree roots fan out about mimicking the tree top can

Reach out about as far as the limbs, and its possible to bust sewer pipes, and cause damage and clogging.

Ive had it happen. Had it camera ran down about 300

Showing me where the blockages were happening, and how deep. I did the rest replaced the section of pipe.

@Trey Rittenhouse

This would depend on state law. In CA the neighbor can trim the overhanging branches as long as they don’t damage the tree. The roots are the responsibility of the property owner where the trunk goes into the ground.

If this is your situation, have an arborist evaluate for root pruning and root barrier. You could be responsible for the repair to the sewer line, but perhaps that can be done at the same time as the pruning.

Ask the neighbor casually if they told the prior owner. If so, it should have been disclosed.

I'd start by finding out where the pipes run on her property relative to your tree's location.  Is the tree healthy and something you want to keep?  I love trees, but just cut one down at a property I recently bought as it was in a bad location, branches hit the siding on my house, roof on the neighbours and when the leaves fall, they'd clog the neighbour's gutters and land on my AC unit.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you