How would you invest if you were to be a new investor today?

9 Replies

If you were to be a new investor starting today where would you start out? I.e. house hacking, wholesaling, Airbnb, BRRR, etc. Assume you are where you were financially when you first started. Just curious and interested to see what you guys have to say!

@Justin Badillo

I would buy single family rentals, use the BRRRR method to add value and hold onto them for appreciation/debt pay down for a minimum of 5 years. I would then sell and use the 1031 exchange to purchase larger properties.

So basically I would do exactly what I’m already doing.

I would invest in a duplex, 1031 exchange out of the duplex into a fourplex then 1031 exchange out of that into a larger complex. I recommend investing in a growing Midwestern market. Of course I am partial to KC but with the 1031 exchange you have a lot of leverage power coming in to a market.

@Justin Badillo

I think most of us would do what we are doing, maybe just on a smaller scale to start out. So for me that’s value add MF for my rentals. I think that new investors think the market is too hot to invest in. However you can still find deals with upside. 

I still consider myself a new investor so I would do the same all over again. From a place with no capital, no experience, and no idea what to do, I would consume knowledge from others more knowledgeable than me, leverage friends, family and coworkers, and BRRRR residential properties until I can get into larger MF.

I echo what @Neddie Smith said. I would consume knowledge at an absurd pace. This was the real beginning of my journey even though I had executed several of today's "trendy" strategies already. After knowledge, I would become part of or create a team that's going in the direction you want to go. The craziness often comes after this inflection point.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you