Originally posted by @Tristan Roth:
@Jack Orthman I understand you had a bad experience but most people having exceedingly good things to say about meet ups and I wouldn’t have people like that there. Furthermore if I paid for something like that it would suck but it still wouldn’t keep me out of real estate and I’d just try to learn what I could from the experience. Thank you for your concern though.
The problem with meetups is they take a lot of very valuable time and produce very little to zero results. Trust me! I've been to hundreds of them at people's homes, at clubs and many of those so-called seminars like the Trump seminars.
You work all day at a job, go home to freshen up, drive to a meeting and get there around 6 pm and while your waiting for the meeting to start at 7 pm everyone is screaming pure bullsh... over each other. Then, the meeting starts and after squirming in your chair for 1 or 2 hours you would have been much better off staying home, relaxing and reading a book, or organizing your life. Then, you get home some time around 10 pm and wonder why you went to another room filled with wannabe people who want but have little to nor brains or ambitions.
Going to Saturday and Sunday meetings is really a waste of an entire day.
One thing I hate about real estate club meetings is most vendors do much better talking than what they deliver on.
Examples: A vendor gave his sales pitch about how he would finance house flips within 24 hours. I called him several times, gave him my information and he never got back to me. I called several more times and he still did not return my calls.
An escrow company gave their pitch and said they would look to make sure titles were clear, for free, for when anyone wanted to purchase properties at auctions. I called several times and offered to pay for that service. I gave them two addresses and they never got back with me.
Some clown came to Los Angeles from Las Vegas and said he could get anyone houses in Las Vegas for wholesale prices and he had a huge list of them, but this a-ho... said if he showed anyone the houses on his list those people had to make a decision to purchase his houses within minutes because they would not last any longer. Sure!!! Would not be surprised if they were on vacant lots.
Most members at clubs are newbies. So, you can't learn one thing from them. The serious and experienced investors, like myself, won't waste our time. So, what can you get from newbies.
I meet many real estate agents and brokers who are real a-ho...s. They don't know poop from Shinola about how to to math for investing and I love to argue with them about single family investing vs. multi-unit properties and until their face turns red, green and blue.
Too many big talkers at meetings. I met one so-called investor who told me he was doing 20 flips per year. I knew he was full of b.s., but for some weird reason I decided to hound this guy. So, I called him, emailed him, texted him and he eventually admitted that he had some job (can't remember what) that kept him so busy he did not have time to even talk for one minute. My guess is that he never flipped one house and was afraid to talk to me.
"Sure!!! Here is my business card. Call me and I would love to chat with you and bounce some ideas around."
Meetings sound like a great way to meet what people call 'like-minded', but that is another word I hate with a passion. Especially, when people use the word for their self. I guess that sums up to a group of people who would LIKE TO know what to do, but not one person in the group really knows.
So...one 'like-minded' person tells the other 'like-minded' person that they should both try some senseless strategy and everyone can learn by banging their heads on stone walls.
The only thing I like about some meetings is when their is soft drinks, coffee and cookies. I had to 'load-up' with sugar to stay away. NO JOKE!
If you want to learn you need find someone like myself who will sit with you one-on-one, ask you about what you seriously want to do, what you can do and then give you all the tools you need e.g. a business plan, business models and philosophies that help to keep you on a straight path when when you have business problems.
You will never get that around a bunch of Big Mouth Wannabes and real estate brokers who are so ignorant and desperate for business they need to go to club meetings to pick on newbies because they don't have the brains to build a company with investors like myself. NO JOKE!
Meetups at people homes? Boy!!! Do I love them. Hell, yes!!! But, not the type meetups you're talking about! I've been to them all!