What it's like being a wholesaler

2 Replies

One of my biggest Struggles in todays climate is the fact that when I find a really nicely rehabbed home or flipped deal. I find that investor and usually give them a call. On a larger scale say 100 investors a week, with the intention of building a relationship based on the quality of work they have done. I am super selective with who I choose to do business in that I only work with serious investors that do quality rehabs. Nonetheless I give them a very professional and cordial call simply to introduce myself and I constantly get hit with " I do not want to sell my property", " im not selling that property", or " I already sold that property".

Why does it have to be an assumption that I am looking to buy their property? I have no intention of calling them to buy their property at all. This is only happening as of recent. Every investor I call and reference a property to is a property that has already been rehabbed really well. You would think that if wholesalers were actually trying to do business they would not be calling homes that have already been rehabbed. I have only recently seen this market shift by investors being extremely rude on the phone when my intentions are nothing but pure and have nothing to do with buying their property. I simply want to complement them on their work and see if they are currently in the market for flip deals in order to cultivate a relationship to do future business. 

Is this a wholesaler problem? Are Investors just cold after a lot of unprofessional work by wholesalers being rude? 

Any input would help cultivate a valuable discussion between wholesalers/investors.

@Kalim Kalla , it is because most flippers move fast, and a lot of wholesalers buy outdated lists.  There seem to be 50 "wholesalers" or investors per owner, so we get hit up all too frequently with texts, post cards, phone calls, etc and it gets frustrating.

While you may have great intentions, you are immediately being bundled in with a group of people that don't do their job well and often unprofessionally, so you are guilty by association.

I am also curious as to what your goals are with these calls.  As an investor, what gets my attention is a property that I didn't know about being available at a good price with remotely accurate rehab estimates and ARVs.  I don't need people complimenting my work, I want to see your deal.  If you call me and reference a deal that is already completed, and likely sold, I will assume you are like all the rest of the wholesalers that are buying lists with my number on it for deals I sold several months ago.

If you want to stand apart from the fray, spend your time uncovering great deals, get them tied up, and send them out.  That is all we care about.  Your name will spread very quickly when you have a lot of good properties.  Otherwise, you are wasting both your and the investor's time.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you