Primary Home Keep as rental or Sell to avoid future tax

5 Replies

Hello 

I will be purchasing new primary home and keep my current primary home as rental or not due to the tax benefit.

Home location: East Bay, CA

Capital Gain: around $200,000 (Purchased 2018 and lived 3 yrs as primary home)

My original plan was once I purchase new home, I was going to keep it as rental. But once I learned capital gain exclusion rules ( up to $500,000 of that gain if you file a joint return with your spouse), I am confusing if I need to sell so I still get some tax benefits now or keep as it rental for 2-3yrs (can sell within 3yrs to meet the capital gain exclusion rules) or even hold even longer (pay long term gain tax in this case.)

I want to invest another investment property using 30yr fixed loan even if I sell now and I am kind of confuse what will be best direction here.

Can anyone advice if you have any insight?

Promotion
PropStream
Web + D4D Mobile App for you & the team!
Trusted Provider of Real Estate Data, Marketing, Skip Tracing & A
#1 Real Estate Software for Investors, Agents & Brokers to find leads and close deals nationwide.
7 Day Free Trial!

Ever thought about the best of both worlds? Do a cash out refi and use those funds to buy in a state where there is more cashflow.............AND keep the property to use as a rental.

Or...........Sell and do a 1031 Exchange into a multifamily in another state that gets you more cashflow.

@Kevin Kim , If it will be a screaming rental then keep it.  If you sell while you have still lived in it for 2 out of the 5 years prior to selling you'll still get the exemption (you will have to recapture depreciation).  

But selling in a couple of years also runs a risk for the market to turn and you'll be taking new  financing at a time when the costs of finance might be more inflationary.

It's a calculated risk.  But the analysis starts with the quality of that property as a rental.  If it looks good long term then it might be a good move to hang on.

I usually lean toward taking money tax free when I can.

Thanks All for advice. The area is 1HR from SF/Bay area without traffic (with traffic up to 2hrs) and has excellent school. So renting out is not an issue I believe. I think I had to make decision but I lean toward to hold for long term (The rent will pay mortgage + escrow but not much positive cash flow as of now), and the home is quite new so i think i can hold for long term.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you