Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Pablo Espin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fayetteville, NC
Votes |
How to buy property from father

Pablo Espin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fayetteville, NC
Posted Aug 9 2022, 07:26

I would like some thoughts/assistance on what to do with a scenario that I am currently facing. My father has a house located in Ft Lauderdale, about 10 minutes from airport and close to Las Olas and Hard Rock hotel. Its an older community but from looking at AIRDNA its not a bad place for a Airbnb. My father is retired 80 years old, he is on a fixed income and only makes like $800 from his social security. He has a house that he still owes $200k w/ %4.5 and 30 years left on mortgage(he has been refinancing without telling us). Anyways, the house he currently has will be appraised anywhere from 425k at low end to 500k high end. We want to rehab the home which will be about 30k it just needs some updates and also with that we can furnish the house. But we also want to give my father 50k so he can pay his car off, and bunch of credit cards that he has not told us about. I could buy the home from him but then I wouldn't be able to get any of that cash. He does not qualify for heloc due to his income. Is there anything I can do, besides just buy the house from him? I was hoping to do a cash refi but not sure if that is an option with his name still on the deed and mortgage. Would love any inputs/thoughts on this scenario. 

Loading replies...