Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tiffany Bishop
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
My husband passed away but only his name is on rental mortgages

Tiffany Bishop
  • Provo, UT
Posted Jan 27 2022, 16:30

This is probably a unique situation, but I'm hoping someone has experience or knowledge.  My late husband and I own three rental properties.  He passed away unexpectedly about a year and a half ago.  The titles of the three properties are all in the name of our trust, but the mortgages were solely in his name.  I haven't done anything about that for the past year+ for multiple reasons, I've just continued to pay them.  However, I'm thinking it's time to do something about them.  I called the lender and no one that I could get a hold of knew anything or would tell me anything about what my options are.  I was just told to send a lot of different documents via snail mail to their corporate offices.  Does anyone know if I have to refinance them under my name? Will I need to pay them off?  Can I just transfer them to my name?  I really have no idea what this will look like.  

User Stats

Votes
Shaun Weekes
Lender
  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent
  • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Votes |
Lender
  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent
  • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Replied Jan 27 2022, 16:51
Originally posted by @Tiffany Bishop:

This is probably a unique situation, but I'm hoping someone has experience or knowledge.  My late husband and I own three rental properties.  He passed away unexpectedly about a year and a half ago.  The titles of the three properties are all in the name of our trust, but the mortgages were solely in his name.  I haven't done anything about that for the past year+ for multiple reasons, I've just continued to pay them.  However, I'm thinking it's time to do something about them.  I called the lender and no one that I could get a hold of knew anything or would tell me anything about what my options are.  I was just told to send a lot of different documents via snail mail to their corporate offices.  Does anyone know if I have to refinance them under my name? Will I need to pay them off?  Can I just transfer them to my name?  I really have no idea what this will look like.  

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Since you're on title that's the most important thing as that means that you or the trust that you control own the home. If you want to refinance the home into your name you would have needed his signature to give escrow permission to order the payoff. In lieu of that you will have to furnish the death certificate to get the payoff from the current lender via escrow. The payoff will be ordered by escrow so just have that document handy.

Take care and I hope this helps.

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Jan 27 2022, 18:13

@Tiffany Bishop Title has not changed, so no due on sale issues.  As for the loans, I think you can/should just keep paying them...no need to refinance or payoff.  I would give them whatever documents they need so You can have authorization for access/information
on the loans...or maybe not even necessary. 

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Follow a few simple steps to view a practice deal.
Step 1 | Find a market
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
See Practice Deals

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Jan 27 2022, 20:13

@Tiffany Bishop this is basically a non issue. You are in the same position you were before, you need to keep paying the mortgage or the bank could foreclose. However that is basically all you need to do (With the exception of Wayne's advice to make sure you have the ability to talk to the bank about the mortgage).

The bank is in a worse position. They no longer have someone to personally guarantee the loan. But they can still foreclose as the property is collateral for the loan. So if payments aren't made they can still take the property.

There is no need to transfer the property unless there is something in the trust documents requiring it on death. There is no need to refinance unless there is some benefit to you like lower rates.