Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Michael Garson
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Civil Judgement on Credit Report! How much is it hurting my score?

Michael Garson
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Dec 20 2013, 14:38

I am shopping around for loans, and recently checked my 3 Fico scores.

I was alarmed to see that my 3 scores were 698, 709 and 752.

I take great pride in paying everything on time, and having a good score. I had assumed all my scores were 740 and above.

Heres the story, anyone who can help, or advise I would greatly appreciate it!

The civil judgement from 2011, is only listed on the two low scoring accounts. So I am going to assume that is the reason for the lower scores. Could it really affect it by 40-50 points?

The judgement was due to a car accident involving my car that I wasn't even involved with! My sister in law was borrowing my car. My insurance company paid the amount immediately after the court case. I am listed on the case along with, my sister in law and my ex-wife (perhaps she was co-owner of the car, or just listed on the insurance?).

Transunion account shows it as paid

Experian just says N/A.

It doesn't appear on Equifax.

What to do?

I'm not sure what steps to take.

1. I could report to Experian that it was paid, but I'm not sure if that will help anything or not (they say that don't even know if it would change anything)

2. I could try disputing it altogether, maybe I get lucky, and it doesn't reappear. It technically does have my name on it though.

3. Or can I make a big stink. My banker said I should sue the sister in-law to get it taken out of my name (so it goes against her insurance). But I don't really want to do that, it sounds like a terrible thing to do.

4. I could sue my insurance for not taking care of it properly, and for carelessly allowing it to go on my record. (Claim the damages and extra cost in increased mortgage payments). But I've never sued anyone, and really don't believe in doing that sort of thing, it just sounds terrible to have to go that far.

5. Or is this not really hurting my credit that much? The only other downsides I have are the $8000 I owe on my cards (with a 25% usage of credit). All my accounts are marked in good standing and nothing was ever late!

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Loading replies...