• Columbus, OH
Votes |
Conventional Loan Minimum Limits

Chris Holloway
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Mar 12 2023, 18:35

I have been looking at many properties for my next project "Rental Buy and Hold" and will be doing this project solo financially. My price range with being able to put down a minimum of 25-30 percent is a max of 150,000. I have done some research and the information I am getting is that most banks on fiance a minium of 150,000. Does that seem right? Also if this is right if I purchase a property for 150,000 and but down 25% the loan would be lower than 150,000 and I couldn't get normal conventional fiancing. 

User Stats

Votes
Jon Puente
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Mar 12 2023, 18:53

Hey Chris, 

That is completely false, and I am not sure what lenders you have spoken to.  I am a mortgage broker and work with several lenders who will go below 100K for loan amount, using a Conventional Loan.  People do this all the time for rental properties.  Rates wont be great, but at least it gets you in the door for leasing the property and collecting rent!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Holloway
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 12 2023, 19:12

Thanks Jon,

This inquiry has had my head going around in circles. Do you have any suggestions for lenders as to where I should look? Local Banks, Big Banks etc.....

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 12 2023, 19:56

There are lenders who will finance for less, you need a good mortgage broker who has a lot of lender options to work with. 

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Mar 13 2023, 15:46

@Chris Holloway- thanks - there are  plently of lenders  doing loans  under 150K

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 14 2023, 08:32
Quote from @Chris Holloway:

I have been looking at many properties for my next project "Rental Buy and Hold" and will be doing this project solo financially. My price range with being able to put down a minimum of 25-30 percent is a max of 150,000. I have done some research and the information I am getting is that most banks on fiance a minium of 150,000. Does that seem right? Also if this is right if I purchase a property for 150,000 and but down 25% the loan would be lower than 150,000 and I couldn't get normal conventional fiancing. 

Hey Chris, I am a local investor and agent here in Columbus and have done quite a few flips and BRRRRs myself and I've used everything from hard money to conventional loans. All the lenders I've talked to do loans even under 100k - shouldn't be a problem at all. I can refer you to my lender network as I've worked with them extensively. They can definitely help with your financing situation. Feel free to reach out!

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 14 2023, 11:31

Are you able to live in the property?

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Holloway
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 14 2023, 12:11

Good Day Remington,

For the right duplex, I would house hack but in the Columbus, Oh area but haven't found anything that affordable 400-500k that I would want my family and I to live in. Before my wife and I had out daughter all the projects we did in California were house hacks however now at a different dynamic with a kid.

User Stats

Votes
Jerry Padilla
Lender
#5 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
Lender
#5 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Rochester, NY
Replied Mar 14 2023, 12:50

@Chris Holloway 

This is a lender-only requirement, not an industry minimum.   I can answer any questions you have about financing, and we can lend in OH. 

PrimeLending  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Mar 14 2023, 15:55

@Chris Holloway
You should be fine if you are looking to be in the 150k range. Usually, some lenders won't lend below 100k, but I know a handful that will.

Reafco- Logo

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 14 2023, 17:45

Good Day Remington,

For the right duplex, I would house hack but in the Columbus, Oh area but haven't found anything that affordable 400-500k that I would want my family and I to live in. Before my wife and I had out daughter all the projects we did in California were house hacks however now at a different dynamic with a kid.

I know some loan programs that you can do 15% down on

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Alfath Ahmed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 15 2023, 06:51

I have some lender referrals that I can send your way that can help you out with your situation.