• Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
First Time Home Buyers

Luis Blanco
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted Mar 20 2023, 06:20

I'm getting married next month and me and my spouse are looking to buy a duplex and househack. Would we qualify for FHA, or any other first time home buying programs that are available? She has a full time W2 job making decent wages. I'm currently self-employed and will be starting a full time W2 job soon.

User Stats

Votes
Ben Firstenberg
  • Investor
  • Cleveland
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland
Replied Mar 20 2023, 06:29

I believe you will if she has had her full time job for 2+ years. You starting a W2 job will help as well. If for some reason you don't qualify now, I bet you would if you tried again 6-10 months in to that job. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Mar 20 2023, 06:44

@Luis Blanco, you and your spouse's pre-qualification is dependent on several financial factors including, combined credit score, employment history, annual income, DTI, etc. The short answer is to start connecting with local lenders to see. An FHA-insured loan is geared towards first-time home buyers so approval should be a little more lenient than a conventional product. As Ben noted above, most lenders will want to see at least two years of W2 employment. Hope this helps!

IRA Club  logo
IRA Club
|
Sponsored
An IRA Administrator Flat fees. No percentages. Grow your retirement fund: Invest in real estate with a self-directed IRA

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Mar 20 2023, 15:09

@Luis Blanco- thanks and congrats - a FHA for a " owner occupied " duplex is a great strategy to minimiz the down payment at 3.5% of the purchase price ....her income definitely usable ...your income may or may not be ...is it related to your self employment ?......if the income is usable you will need to be on the job before closing ...definitely get pre approved asap ( if you arent already ) - good luck

User Stats

Votes
Marc Dube
  • Lender
  • Augusta, ME
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Augusta, ME
Replied Mar 21 2023, 04:57

depending on the state you live in i have a 2-unit owner occupied loan with 5% down and no pmi. min 660 fico and 2 ways to qualify. either the property must be in LMI area of if income is below 80% of median income tract.  

User Stats

Votes
Ash Hegde
  • Lender
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT MI PA)
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT MI PA)
Replied Mar 21 2023, 07:22

Congrats Luis! If you start a W2 and can show 2 year history of employment or full time school you should be able to use your new salary. You will also be able to use 75% of market value rents on the other side of the duplex to help qualify. 

User Stats

Votes
Luis Blanco
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Mar 27 2023, 05:37

Thank you all for the replies! I appreciate you and your time/effort to share. 

User Stats

Votes
Justin Jaikissoon
  • Lender
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Florida
Replied Mar 28 2023, 08:52
Quote from @Luis Blanco:

I'm getting married next month and me and my spouse are looking to buy a duplex and househack. Would we qualify for FHA, or any other first time home buying programs that are available? She has a full time W2 job making decent wages. I'm currently self-employed and will be starting a full time W2 job soon.

Congrats Luis! I'm a mortgage loan officer based in FL and I'd be happy to connect with both of you to take a deeper dive and discuss potential options. I'll send you a message.