User Stats

Votes
Muhammad Ahmad
Votes |
I got pre-approval three times and it hurt my credit score

Muhammad Ahmad
Posted Mar 25 2023, 12:17

Hey Guys!
I got pre-approval in December but could not close the deal and now I applied for another pre-approval last week for new construction that I found but it will probably close by august or September. That means my credit score will be hurt three times. I just want to know how long it take for my credit score to get up and if there is a way to get my credit score to bounce back up quickly.

Thanks in advance! 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Mar 25 2023, 15:43

Hey Muhammad, 

Are you working with a broker or shopping several lenders yourself? If you work with a broker, 1 credit pull will allow you to shop multiple lenders for the best rate. 

Also how bad is it pulling your credit down? Usually the inquiries affect your credit sightly up to a certain point. 

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Mar 25 2023, 15:47

An inquiry on your report only affects your score a couple of points. Its not a big deal.

District Invest Group Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Hutchinson
  • Lender
  • Fort Mill, SCinstal
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Fort Mill, SCinstal
Replied Mar 27 2023, 06:05
Quote from @Russell Brazil:

An inquiry on your report only affects your score a couple of points. Its not a big deal.

Yep.   Amazed how many people think this is a big issue.   I usually see 3-4 points.   Lenders price in 20 point bands and often do free credit advice to help customers.    I have never seen the credit pull be an issue, though I discuss with most customers as that is the common perception.  

User Stats

Votes
David Taylor
  • Lender
  • Irvine, Ca
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Irvine, Ca
Replied Mar 27 2023, 10:45

This should shed some light - 

https://www.consumerfinance.go...

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Kwan
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Mar 27 2023, 11:21

You should request your lender to proceed with a soft pull where it gives the lender enough information (one score instead of 3 scores from the credit bureaus) and the current liabilities to estimate your max approval loan amount. The downside of doing soft pull instead of hard pull is that lenders will not able to run the automated servicing system (AUS). It is an integrated automated system that implements the guidelines from Fannie and Freddie. The underwriters will use on this automated system and to determine if your loan will be approved/rejected.  @Carlos Valencia @Albert Bui 

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Mar 28 2023, 11:53

@Muhammad Ahmad- thanks - what were your scores in DEC  and what are your scores now ?   a  single  credit inquiry  every few months  shouldnt affect the scores ... try to get a  copy of the current report and  review it with your lender to see if anything can be  worked on in order to  help scores .. if you have revolving cards - try to keep your balances  under 30% of the  max  credit limits on the cards .....if there are any collections /  disputes /  lates  appearing - try to get these  paid / removed  / etc ...good luck

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Mar 28 2023, 12:12

Salaam @Muhammad Ahmad - getting credit pulled during a mortgage process is pretty standard and should only ding your credit a few points each time. In the long term, your credit will bounce back and typically mortgage lenders understand when they see on your credit report recent inquiries from other lenders as it's normal to shop around. 

Don't worry and keep moving ahead! 

User Stats

Votes
Muhammad Ahmad
Votes |
Replied Mar 31 2023, 12:38
Quote from @Mohammed Rahman:

Salaam @Muhammad Ahmad - getting credit pulled during a mortgage process is pretty standard and should only ding your credit a few points each time. In the long term, your credit will bounce back and typically mortgage lenders understand when they see on your credit report recent inquiries from other lenders as it's normal to shop around. 

Don't worry and keep moving ahead! 

Thank you so much!