Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Should I take a DSCR loan or pay cash on a 210K property?

David Rosenfield
Posted Apr 27 2023, 05:55

Hi all. First time poster here but really need some advice. I'm under K on a 2 BR/1 bath condo in Myrtle Beach that I've spent several months looking for. It's a good deal: 210K and I'll at worst break even in 8-9 months (and be able to use it the other 3-4) but potentially could make $$ depending on whether I pay cash or take a loan. To that end, I'm not eligible for a conventional loan so I applied (and was approved) for a DSCR loan at 8.375% with a 3/2/1 prepayment penalty. I'd almost surely refinance or pay it off in year 2 or 3 but in those 2-3 years I'll have paid approx. 13K/year in interest alone plus another approx. 5K in appraisal/closing cost/prepayment penalty fees. I have the 210K cash but it represents approx. 1/3-1/2 of my liquid net worth, with the other half being illiquid. If I pay cash my COC return will be approx. 8%. If I take the loan it goes down to approx. 2.5-3%. The ONLY reason I'd take the loan is to save some "dry powder" for my next purchase as I'd like to get 2-3 more properties in the next few years. But the thought of paying a lender 8.5% when I have the money sitting in stocks/bonds which almost surely will not go up 8.5%/year over the next several years (and potentially could go down a lot) is very unsettling. Curious what others would do in my position and also if I pay cash, how feasible would it be to get a mortgage after the fact and/or a HELOC loan in the event I wanted to raise capital for my next purchase? Thanks for any thoughts/advice and greatly appreciated.

Slight update: I've since realized I put 50% down and my rate with a 3/2/1 prepayment goes down to 8%.  Or at 50% down with a 1 year prepayment penalty the rate is 8.375%.  I'm inclined to go this route with the 1 year prepayment option.  But curious to hear others' thoughts.  Thanks much all!

Loading replies...