Startup Capital for New On my own venture

Startup Capital for New On my own venture

Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 28 votes

I've been investing for 7+ years and built a decent rental portfolio in VA and NC with a partner. That partner and I still have a great relationship but are also now doing deals on our own while keeping everything we own together.

I am in need of operational capital while I start my new separate company on my own as I don't want to use funds that I have in my other business with my partner. How would you recommend that I do this? I'm seeking about 100k to use for marketing, operations while I'm doing new deals myself. Thx!

1Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2023 · 63 posts · 26 votes
2y

Yes- given I work for a direct lender I have first hand experience of being involved with setting up a fund.  Strongly suggest contacting a lawyer and setting up a Cayman Island feeder fund.  The benefits with this include flexibility and tax exemptions on income.  If you would like to discuss further in-depth please contact me.  Thank you. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    what type of deals are you looking for? wholesale deals? flips?

    if so, i would find a private money partner and split it 50/50 on the deals until youve built enough capital

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 28 votes
    2y

    I do mostly long term holds and flips. My main need upfront operational + marketing capital.

  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brandon Becsi:

    I do mostly long term holds and flips. My main need upfront operational + marketing capital.


     I would offer something creative like upfront cost....in exchange for equity in the flips.....and partnership in the leads that dont fit your criteria but still deals that you can wholesale to someone else. youre going to get leads that dont fit your criteria, what will you do with those? how can you still profit from them??? keep that in mind.

    something creative.....

  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    You will have far more success raising capital if the capital is deployed towards the underlying real estate. Investors will be less enthusiastic about funding your operational capital. Since part of your investment strategy is flips, you may consider a pref equity structure with LP's. 

  • Lender · Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2023 · 63 posts · 26 votes
    2y

    @Brandon Becsi I recommend raising capital in a private fund or look at opening a line of credit with a bank. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 28 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kerry Noble Jr:
    Quote from @Brandon Becsi:

    I do mostly long term holds and flips. My main need upfront operational + marketing capital.


     I would offer something creative like upfront cost....in exchange for equity in the flips.....and partnership in the leads that dont fit your criteria but still deals that you can wholesale to someone else. youre going to get leads that dont fit your criteria, what will you do with those? how can you still profit from them??? keep that in mind.

    something creative.....


     Great perspective, I like your ideas

  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brandon Becsi:
    Quote from @Kerry Noble Jr:
    Quote from @Brandon Becsi:

    I do mostly long term holds and flips. My main need upfront operational + marketing capital.


     I would offer something creative like upfront cost....in exchange for equity in the flips.....and partnership in the leads that dont fit your criteria but still deals that you can wholesale to someone else. youre going to get leads that dont fit your criteria, what will you do with those? how can you still profit from them??? keep that in mind.

    something creative.....


     Great perspective, I like your ideas


     I got a lot more where that came from!

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 28 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Celia Lumbroso:

    @Brandon Becsi I recommend raising capital in a private fund or look at opening a line of credit with a bank. 


     Do you have experience starting a private fund? What do you recommend/structure?  

  • Lender · Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2023 · 63 posts · 26 votes
    2y

    Yes- given I work for a direct lender I have first hand experience of being involved with setting up a fund.  Strongly suggest contacting a lawyer and setting up a Cayman Island feeder fund.  The benefits with this include flexibility and tax exemptions on income.  If you would like to discuss further in-depth please contact me.  Thank you. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.