When Will you Say Interest Only Payments Makes Sense on a Rental?

When Will you Say Interest Only Payments Makes Sense on a Rental?

Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 1 vote

I have property I procured with hard money which is approaching the due time for me to refinance into a conventional loan. I got a quote from a company we decided to move forward with. This will be a DSCR loan. However, it appears we underestimated the annual taxes, so I am being told that after factoring in the higher taxes the property will not meet the DSCR requirements. Lender tells me my best option is to do a 10 year interest only with a 30 year term. I am new to RE investment and I am not sure if going the 10 year interest only is a good choice. I'm seeking advise on what my best options are? Thank you in advance

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Robin SimonBusiness Member
Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
2y

The IO options are pretty good right now, not much of an additional cost and even with a higher rate, it often becomes a lower overall monthly payment!

Everything depends, but I think the main reason "not" to pursue it would be if the property is relatively low value and already comfortably cash flowing at full am

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    @Kingsley Addo was this lender not from here or something?  It takes 30 seconds for us to look up property taxes so I kind of feel like this should have been caught early on.  And can you not go with other loan types?  Meaning, conventional loans?  

    Now, should you do a 10 year, interest only payment? What choice do you have? If you can go conventional - then do that. If not, do you have the extra money to bring to closing on this (assuming that's the case)? If you can't do either of those, then your answer is to go with the interest only option or sell. I mean, you could ask for an extension on your hard money loan...but that's already interest only and the rate, I would guess, is higher...and you are only extending it to not refinance. Things won't magically change in a few months here so if you do choose to sell, then extend the HML. If you don't want to sell, then your choice is to bring more to closing or take the 10 year I/O payment.

  • Jay HurstBusiness Member
    Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kingsley Addo:

    I have property I procured with hard money which is approaching the due time for me to refinance into a conventional loan. I got a quote from a company we decided to move forward with. This will be a DSCR loan. However, it appears we underestimated the annual taxes, so I am being told that after factoring in the higher taxes the property will not meet the DSCR requirements. Lender tells me my best option is to do a 10 year interest only with a 30 year term. I am new to RE investment and I am not sure if going the 10 year interest only is a good choice. I'm seeking advise on what my best options are? Thank you in advance

     @Kingsley Addo The first question is why a DSCR at all? You mention conventional loan above so why not that? may be a reason just curious. There are a lot of unlicensed brokers who only offer DSCR because they do not have the ability to originate any other loan because they are not licensed. so just want to make sure that you property vetted that option.

    Second, there are plenty of DSCR products that allow for DSCR ratio under 1.00 so you would not have to do an interest only to make the number work. They do depend on loan to value and credit score of course.

    Third, have they given you any other options like lower your loan to value, buying down your rate, etc?  Because it is lending 101 to check the property taxes at the very beginning of the process just not sure if all avenues had been explored before going to IO. 

    Hurst Real Estate, INC4.989 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    2y

     I couldn’t do any other long term loan because of current Fannie Mae guidelines. Which says I have to have held the property for a year to do a cash out. Plus I need to refinance out of the hard money to prevent charges

    The lender has made me paid down some to bring it the dscr treshold but can’t go any further

  • Jay HurstBusiness Member
    Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kingsley Addo:

     I couldn’t do any other long term loan because of current Fannie Mae guidelines. Which says I have to have held the property for a year to do a cash out. Plus I need to refinance out of the hard money to prevent charges

    The lender has made me paid down some to bring it the dscr treshold but can’t go any further

     We do cash out loan with no value seasoning where you end up in a conventional loan . I explained the process on this thread: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/853/topics/1157866-hypo...

    Hurst Real Estate, INC4.989 Reviews
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kingsley Addo:

    I have property I procured with hard money which is approaching the due time for me to refinance into a conventional loan. I got a quote from a company we decided to move forward with. This will be a DSCR loan. However, it appears we underestimated the annual taxes, so I am being told that after factoring in the higher taxes the property will not meet the DSCR requirements. Lender tells me my best option is to do a 10 year interest only with a 30 year term. I am new to RE investment and I am not sure if going the 10 year interest only is a good choice. I'm seeking advise on what my best options are? Thank you in advance


     Hey Kingsley, 

    Do you plan on refinancing this mortgage again anytime soon? If so, IO could make sense as a short term fix. 

    What interest rate are you qualified at? This can also play a huge factor on being able to debt service. Also, what is the amount of cash out you are looking to net? There are some lenders that will be able to finance the fees without it having to affect your cash out. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Jake BakerBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 695 votes
    2y

    As a flipper and BRRRR investor, I often find myself in this situation. I always shop at least three lenders at the same time because they all have access to different loan products. For me, a fixed rate is more important that the 10 year interest only you mentioned. You are bound to sell it or refinance in the next 5 years or so but having that fixed interest rate is key.

    BookkeepingRE - Bookkeeping for Real Estate & Service-Based Businesses58 Reviews
  • Devin PetersonBusiness Member
    Lender · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2022 · 2k+ posts · 664 votes
    2y

    If you are refinancing within the next couple of years interest only would potentially make sense. Do you know what the pre-payment penalty is that you are being quoted? I would watch out for getting a PPP longer than 2-3 years.

  • Lender · Member since 2021 · 495 posts · 130 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kingsley Addo:

    I have property I procured with hard money which is approaching the due time for me to refinance into a conventional loan. I got a quote from a company we decided to move forward with. This will be a DSCR loan. However, it appears we underestimated the annual taxes, so I am being told that after factoring in the higher taxes the property will not meet the DSCR requirements. Lender tells me my best option is to do a 10 year interest only with a 30 year term. I am new to RE investment and I am not sure if going the 10 year interest only is a good choice. I'm seeking advise on what my best options are? Thank you in advance

    IO payments can make sense if it helps you stretch the DSCR to get a needed loan to value (ltv). These have been most popular for clients prioritizing cash out or leverage versus other things like cash flow, paying down debt, etc…
    If you need a certain loan to value (ltv) to make the refinance work, it may be a good option. Either wise, you may want to explore a lower ltv. If you do IO payments, as others have said, ensure the IO term aligns with your investment strategy for that property.
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kingsley Addo:

    I have property I procured with hard money which is approaching the due time for me to refinance into a conventional loan. I got a quote from a company we decided to move forward with. This will be a DSCR loan. However, it appears we underestimated the annual taxes, so I am being told that after factoring in the higher taxes the property will not meet the DSCR requirements. Lender tells me my best option is to do a 10 year interest only with a 30 year term. I am new to RE investment and I am not sure if going the 10 year interest only is a good choice. I'm seeking advise on what my best options are? Thank you in advance


     IO is only making sense in the appreciated asset and appreciated market otherwise you are going against the tide.

    But if it is single family why not try 30 years conventional ..... you need to be careful when seeing this IO loan, sometimes it's predatory and only useful to be used by the pro only.

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    The IO options are pretty good right now, not much of an additional cost and even with a higher rate, it often becomes a lower overall monthly payment!

    Everything depends, but I think the main reason "not" to pursue it would be if the property is relatively low value and already comfortably cash flowing at full am

  • Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    I just want to say a BIG thank you to all your responses. I must admit that your responses gave me a clearer picture of which direction to go. In this case I decided against I/O. Someone from here is helping me with a great option which I think I am going to pursue. Thank you all!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.