HELOCs, any difference between banks?

5 Replies

Hey everyone, in the last few days I've been looking at getting a HELOC to fund a few deals coming up and I've talked to mortgage brokers at a few big banks like wells fargo and chase.

The HELOC products are pretty much the same, fees are pretty much the same + or - $100, as are the terms interests all around the 4% mark, almost to the point where all these banks seem like pretty much the same company.

In such a situation is there anything I should look out for? Is one bank better than another? Any perks or benefits to going with one of the big names? Or should I just pick the banks that I like the best?

This is my first time getting a HELOC so apologies in advance if the question seems silly.

Make sure you ask what the minimum payment will be. Some allow interest only payments, others have something like 1% of the loan amount as the minimum. All other things being equal I would look for the interest only option. Also- be sure to check your local credit unions. Around here they offer much better rates and fees.

You say the fees are basically the same within $100 of each other. My suggestion would be to never ever pay fees for a HELOC. I never have and never will. I would never pay a bank a fee for the privilege of making a profit off of me.

I would agree with the interest only HELOC. That's what I have and always pay a bunch of principal but it's nice to know I am not required to in the event I ran into a money crunch.

My bank offers the option of turning the balance into a fully amortized 15 year mortgage with the current interest rate locked in anytime I want for 50 dollars. If I pay the mortgage off early it turns back into a HELOC

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the advice. I will try and hunt around for better or cheaper options.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here