cash out refinance for multi-unit investment property - Texas?

5 Replies

If I have duplex that I originally put 25% into, and after a year or even several years my equity has grown - are there options available that I would be able to cash out refinance to take some of the equity out to say, re-invest in another property? I am in Texas.

Yes there are in STl thy will typically allow you to refi at 70%LTV. I would call a couple of local banks and find a good mortgage broker.  Also go to your local REI club and ask for referrals or professionals that are there. 

Peter MacKercher, Real Estate Agent in MO (#2010004223)
(314) 210-4414

Hello Audrey,

Getting cash out through conventional lending is tough in TX. I know that Freddie will do 1 unit up to 80% LTV which doesn't really help you.

You would need to get a portfolio loan, private loan or HML loan. If you get the cash out this way you could do a rate and term refinance through all conventional channels up to 75% LTV.

I hope this helps and have a great day.

@Audrey VanDeWalle Tsogbe

There are options as Shaun stated, but it might not be through conventional routes.  It's more likely going to be through a portfolio lender or private entity (that's providing better terms than hard/private money).

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact.

Thanks,

Jared Rine, Lender in California (#893462) and California (#01915324)
(209) 481-0514

Texas has always been very protective of the homestead so financing rules are pretty strict.

My understanding is that you can only refinance up to 80% of the market value if you're looking for cash back. So let's say you have a property worth $100,000 and the principal balance is $50,000. You could only pull $30,000 cash out of the property.

Thought about HELOC or perhaps a Bridge Loan (if it's available in TX - I am not sure)

Just throwing some ideas out there...

Flavio

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.