Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Robert Anderson
  • Weymouth, MA
Votes |
I Can't get financing for a flip. Great credit, great down payment. Any ideas?

Robert Anderson
  • Weymouth, MA
Posted Jan 18 2015, 06:15

Hi all, My name is Bob new to BP. I live in the Boston area, 15 minutes south of Boston. I am trying to get financing for my first flip, and have been shot down by 3 banks for a 30 year fixed rate ( not sure if this is the right approach). I talked to a hard money lender and he said he would give me some financing with 2 points, and 12% interest, I did the math and it seems like I would be paying 10k to borrow the money for 6 months, and more than that if I borrowed longer. I have a credit score of 776, I have 70k in the bank, 112k in my annuity, although annuity doesn't seem to matter to the banks I've talked to. I work fulltime, same company for 10 years. I make about 70k a year base pay. Here is the tough part, I own my primary residence (purchased for 341k, and owe about 270k now), and also have a rental property in NH (purchased for 125k, and owe about 90k) that shows a loss on my taxes. I am married and my wife is a nurse but she wants nothing to do with a flip so I understand. As odd as it sounds we don't combine our money. She makes what she makes and the same with me. We only pay mortgages, and bills together, and we file taxes jointly. It has been a perfect system for us. My credit card debt is low, 4k max. I have been wanting to get into the real estate market for years, have done years of saving, and researching, I have about as strong of an understanding of flipping house as you can without actually doing one. I have a sound mind, college grad, great work ethic, no slouch here. Anyone out there that can give me any ideas? I'm not looking for anything gimmicky or something that over extends me. Any info would be appreciated. I was hoping to have a house on the market by May, but now I feel like that is dwindling. Ok thank you for reading.

Loading replies...